Chapter 15

As Anika was gathering the last of her belongings, her eye fell on a pile of letters. Most of them were addressed for Gauri so she thought to hand them back to her but one letter caught her eye. It was sent from the university in New York, where Gauri was previously studying. The letter was already opened, so Anika took out the paper from the envelope.

Anika: Arrey Gauri tumne mujhe nahi bataya ki tumhare results aagaye
(Hey Gauri you didn't tell me that you got your results)

She asked her sister as she walked into the room

Gauri: Di darasal...
(Di actually...)

When her eyes fell on the paper in Anika's hand, they immediately widened and shock filled her face.

Gauri: Yeh toh kuch nahi hai, bas formality ka letter hai
(This letter is just sent as a formality)

It didn't take Anika long to guess that her sister was hiding something from her. So she quickly opened the letter and read through it. Gauri could only just watch, unable to stop her from reading any further.

Anika: Gauri yeh kushi ki baat hai, I'm so proud of you
(This is good news Gauri, I'm so proud of you)

Gauri: Lekin mein nahi jaari
(But I'm not going)

Anika: This is everything you have worked for Gauri, how can you say no?

Gauri: Mujhe pata hai ki yeh mera sapna hai, Paris mein ek fashion boutique kholna. Par usse zyada important aap ho mere liye.
(I know what this is my dream, opening a fashion boutique in Paris. But for me, more important than that is you)

Anika knew exactly what she was thinking, but she knew she couldn't be the one to stand in between her sister's dream.

Gauri: Mein aapko yaha akele nahi rehne doon sakti. Pehle Papa tha lekin aab?
(I can't let you stay here alone. Before Papa was here but now?)

Anika: Papa gaye, lekin hum akele nahi pade. Iss ghar ke saare family members humse utna pyaar karte jitne voh karte the.
(Papa left, but we didn't fall alone. All of the members of this house love us as much as he did)

Stretching her hand out to wipe the unshed tear in Gauri's eye, she continued to convince her

Anika: He left a whole family to take care of us, how will I be alone?

Gauri: Par kal aapne bola tha, event ke raat per, mere bina aap kese sambhal lenge?
(But yesterday you said, the night of the event, without me how will you handle?)

Anika: Voh toh mein aise hi bol rhi thi
(I was just saying it like that)

As they both chuckled with teary eyes, Anika took Gauri into a tight hug.

Anika: Sirf 6 maheene ki baat hai, aur beech mein tum vaapis bhi aa satki
(It's only a matter of 6 months, and in between, you can come back)

Anika: But I won't let you go before my birthday

Gauri: Mein usse pehle jaaoungi nahi
(I won't go before that)

They both parted the hug.

Anika: Mein kuch sort out karungi
(I'll sort something out)

Anika: yeh baat abhi kisi ko mat batana, varna hume jaane nahi denge
(Don't tell this to anyone, or else they won't let us go from here)

Tej: Kya nahi batana hume?
(What don't you want to tell us?)

Tej and Shivaay stood at the door, and both became concerned once they saw tears in their eyes.