Chapter 7

Gaur's pleasant sleep was disrupted by an irritating banging sound. In attempt to block the noise she kept a pillow over her head, but it was ineffective.

Gauri: kaun?
(Who?)

She shouted being extremely frustrated. Her hand hit the side table multiple times before she could pick her a phone in her hand. She kept it on her ear and sleepily answered.

Gauri: hello

She got no response, and it bugged her even more. Only then did she realise that the sound was coming from the door

Gauri: aaye!
(Come in!)

She shouted at with as much energy she had.

Anika: locked hai
(It's locked)

Gauri simply groaned in exasperation. She slid out of bed with minimal effort and finally got her wobbling legs to carry her to the door. On her way down back to the floor, she twisted the key to the door which allowed Anika to enter. Here she looked in disbelief at her lazy younger sister.

Anika: darvaasa band kyu tha?
(Why was the door closed?)

Her arms were crossed along with her tapping feet, indicating her wait for a reply.

Gauri: thaaki kohi meri NEEND NAA KHARAB KARDE
(So that no-one DESTROYS MY SLEEP)

The volume of her voice rose up as she snapped back.

Anika: challo uth jaa aab
(Okay now get up)

Gauri: aapki behn America se aayi, jet lag se suffer kari hai aur aap usse sone nahi dete. Kya yaar?
(Your sister came from America, she's suffering from jet lag and you won't let her sleep. What is this?)

Anika shook her head at Gauri's remark. The girl had the audacity to climb back onto the bed as well, pulling the pillow closer to her.

Anika: acha mein office jaari, tu bhi ready ho jao. Mein tujhe aab batari, yeh ek chota sa business hai, bohot bada nahi. Sirf kuch 1-2 saal pehle shuru kiya aur abhi thak unke kohi bada deal nahi ban chuki. Hum sab ka jaana bohot zaroori hai, samjhi?
(Right I'm going to office, you also get ready. I'm telling you now, this is a small business, nothing big. Only 1-2 years ago they started and they haven't locked any big deals yet. Our every employee's going there is compulsory, understood?)

Gauri: haa haa, lekin nahi. Mujhe aur sona hai
(Yeah yeah, but No. I want to sleep more)

Her tantrums continued as she shook her head vigorously and snuggled into the bed sheets.

Anika: Gauri

Her voice became more stern, alerting Gauri that she shouldn't refuse.

Gauri: kyu naa mein 2 ghante ka alarm lagao, tab thak mujhe sone de naa. Please Di?
(Why don't I keep an alarm for 2 hours , until then I sleep. Please Di?)

Gauri said that she wouldn't refuse, but what harm is a little negotiation? She pleaded after seeing the time was only 7 am and hoped for a yes

Anika: theek hai phir, lekin agar tu mere call karne se pehle uthi nahi, toh tu dekh bachu
(Okay then, but if you aren't awake before I call you then you watch)

She finally gave in, after all she was on a plane for about 14 hours.

Anika: Gauri?