Escape the Spiders

We ran through the endless corridor, the Spiders on our tail. Everytime I looked back, I saw them flooding the walls, floor, and ceiling behind us. They were numerous. Much more work than three grenades. We shot at them to keep them away but the dead Spiders that fell seemed to be replaced by two each time.
Soon the survivor we were with tripped and fell. Ella tried to go back for him but I grabbed her.
"It's too late for him! Let's go!"
I looked back to see the Spiders turn all of their attention to the one man. His screams were cut short as his limbs were all torn off and passed down the line to share the new food. We turned into a stairwell and continued up to the second floor before we decided it was safe to rest. Ella sat down and cried. I wrapped my arms around her.
She muttered to herself, "I could've saved him... I could've..."
My thoughts drifted back to when Patterson died. My words to Sampson. "I would've gladly died with Patterson."
I held Ella close and squeezed. I looked down at her.
"I'm sorry Ella. Sacrifices have to be made to survive. And the only way to escape a monster is to be one. I hope you understand, but that man had to die..."
Ella looked up at me in anger, "He didn't need to!"
She shrugged me off and stormed to the other side of the stairwell. I almost went after her but then I realized what I had said. I was starting to talk like Sampson.