Arrival in New York

We woke up that morning and journeyed another few hours until we finally reached New York City. The once deadie filled concrete jungle was once dark, but the city was now up in flames. It seemed that the city had gone to war while we were gone. We quickly crossed a bridge from Rutherford and into Manhattan. The city was in turmoil, the deadies were tearing apart the buildings and attacking what seemed to look like... the Immune?
It seems like the Immune had finally been found out and as a result, turned one of the largest American cities into a warzone.
"Dios mio..." Kent whispered.
"Manhattan hasn't seen such horror since the attack three years ago..."
I looked to him, his eyes were filled with fear.
"Kent..." I said to him, "there's still hope... if we can find Grandfather, we can rally the Immune to fight back!"
Ella looked to me in surprise at that statement. She stepped forward.
"The Immune won't fight! We've been taught to avoid and make peace! I've only kept this gun to use as a last resort! I'm not..."
I walked over and hugged her.
"It's ok. Continue to use it as one now."
I stepped back and looked into her eyes. "But when the time comes, your people need to show just the slightest bit of aggression. Otherwise your species and mine will die off faster than a stage four deadie..."
She shook her head and looked away.
"This plan is crazy..." She looked up and into my eyes, "You're crazy..."
I smiled at her and she smiled back. I turned to face the carnage ahead.
"Actually," I began, "I think, for once in my life, I'm actually starting to gain some sanity."
I felt my guilt for Patterson slowly drift away. My fear of becoming Sampson turning into determination to show him that my way is better. For once in my life, as I looked towards the carnage that befell the once great city of New York, I knew what I had to do, and exactly how to do it.