Thirty-One.

𝒩𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒾𝓁𝒶 𝒫𝓇𝑜𝓂𝒾𝓈𝑒

𝒩𝓊𝓇𝑒𝒾𝓁𝒶 𝒫𝓇𝑜𝓂𝒾𝓈𝑒

ᴬᵖʳⁱˡ ⁵ᵗʰ

The pitter-patter of rain hitting umbrellas was the only thing I could hear. Not even the loud crying from Khalia's mom could break me out of the trance I was in. It felt so weird that Khalia was no longer by my side. She was gone, just like that.

"Hey, how you holding up?" Rashan whispered in my ear while he rubbed my back. I simply nodded to assure him that I was alright but I knew that he could feel my uneasiness.

"We can leave early if you want to... I can see that this is uncomfortable for you."

"No, I'm okay." Rashan nodded and turned his attention back to the preaching talking.

I hate funerals, they're always so gloomy and it puts everyone in a bad mood. However, afterwards, people gather to celebrate the person's life and think of all the good times.

"What was good about Khalia?" I thought to myself.

Truth be told, she wasn't the best friend to have. I knew she had her secrets but at least I was open and honest about myself to her. Guess you can't trust everyone.

"You!" I raised my eyes to find Khalia's mother standing in front of Rashan and I noticed everyone else around us was watching as well.

"Your brother did this to my baby and you had the audacity to show up?" Khalia's mother poked her finger into Rashan's chest. He clearly looked agitated.

"Cut allat yelling. We're here for your daughter and you're making a scene. This is her day, at least give her that." Khalia's mother glared at Rashan before walking off. Rashan grabbed my hand and lead me off with him.

I tried to stop him but he just kept walking. We reached his car and he opened the door so I could get in then situated himself in the drivers. Rashan started the car and drove off.

"Why did we just leave like that?" I asked, throwing the umbrella in the backseat.

"Because it's obvious that no one wants anything to do with me or anyone who associated themselves with me." Rashan kissed his teeth and gripped the steering wheel. "I'm sorry I bought you down with me."

"Hey, we're in a relationship and I knew what I was getting myself into." I offered Rashan a small smile and focused on him driving.

******