18| The Dinosaurs are Extinct Again

FOR my intro to writing course, we were given an assignment to research a topic that we found interesting and write a no more than 4-page essay on it

FOR my intro to writing course, we were given an assignment to research a topic that we found interesting and write a no more than 4-page essay on it. The professor wanted us to find a creative and fun topic and write an essay basically summarizing the information and giving an opinion.

I started working on the assignment right when I got back from my 4pm class on Thursday, slipping my glasses on and changing into sweatpants to make myself comfortable. I found it easier to work at the kitchen counter rather than me and Skylar's cramped room, one side pretty bare and clean which belonged to me, and the other side that was still mostly clean, but she had somehow shoved a huge bookcase in there, making everything feel more confined. Skylar had a huge collection of rare and first-edition books. She said she never actually read the books (it seemed like a waste to me), but they were super rare and one day, they would cost a shit ton. Besides, they made for good decoration.

They made good distraction for me. I needed to escape the room if I wanted to get any work done, or else I would be enraptured by the classic covers of each and every one of her books. They were all gorgeous, perfectly kept in shape. But I would go through all of them and possibly start reading one if I stayed in the room to work. I didn't read fiction often, but it was tempting when there were so many books. I mean, they were classics, which were undeniably the worst (except for The Great Gatsby), but still.

Anyway, I was on my laptop with my notebook and pen on my right side. I was writing down any ideas for my paper that I could come across, but there wasn't much that I found interesting.

I could have written about pretty much any news in the business world, but there wasn't anything that could necessarily be argued at the moment. Nothing that was substantially important to write about and certainly nothing creative. I wanted to throw my pen across the room because it was frustrating the shit out of me.

So I did.

I threw my pen across the room right as the door conveniently opened and Theo stepped into the room. He dodged the pen and with wide green eyes, turned to me.

"Are you trying to kill me with a pen? Because if so, that's a pretty lame attempt," Theo said. He smirked and leaned against the wall.

"Clearly not," I muttered. "What are you doing here? No. How did you get in? I thought I locked the door."

"Seems that Skylar didn't," Theo said with a shrug. He moved away from the wall and walked into the kitchen, perching himself against the counter. "So. What are we up to?"

"We?" I asked. "I am trying to find a topic for this assignment. I have no idea what in the hell you're doing."

Theo chuckled. "I brought snacks." He pulled off his backpack and set it on the counter, then dug through his bag and pulled out a random assortment of snacks.