19| I Want to Have His Non-Existent Babies

"WE aren't drinking tonight," Theo told the bartender, and the guy nodded before slipping into the back to make us 2 non-alcoholic drinks

"You could drink if you wanted to," I told him. "You're not driving. And we're in a group, which means we're not alone."

"We can act like we're alone," Theo teased. He stood incredibly close to my body since the club was packed and loud. His shoulder touched mine and he had to tilt his head down to speak to me. "Besides, I don't want to drink."

I raised a questioning eyebrow. "You don't?"

He grinned. "Do I seem like an alcoholic to you?"

"No, you don't," I said. "It's just everyone else is drinking and you're in a frat."

"I do drink on the occasion," he admitted. "But I don't want to drink tonight. Not here. Not with you here."

"What's thst supposed to mean?"

The bartender came back and handed us 2 drinks, both red with strawberries on top. Theo handed me one of them and I gladly took it. Then, he gently grabbed my hand to lead me to the back lounge, and I didn't even realize that it wasn't weird to hold his hand until we reached the less crowded lounge and he let go. We sat down at the same table as last time and I saw the others dancing on the floor ten feet away.

Theo scooted closer to me and took a sip of his drink. "I don't want to drink with you here because of what you said last time I brought you here," he said. "I like to have a good time, but I'm not bringing you here to get you drunk. Or myself drunk, for that matter. This isn't a move in my playbook."

I tilted my head at him, taking in his serious demeanor. He wasn't joking this time, which surprised me since he was almost always joking. I think it was one of the only times I'd seen Theo be genuinely serious with me.

"But you're admitting that you do have a playbook?" I teased.

Theo sighed and leaned back in his seat, shaking his head as he let out an airy laugh. "You always say I'm so persistent in getting you to like me, but you're pretty persistent yourself, aren't you? In getting me to admit that I'm a player."

I nudged him. "I'm not. I'm just messing with you," I said. "Besides, we're friends now. You don't have to be so persistent."

"Oh, believe me, I do," he muttered, sending me a wicked grin.

I shook my head and took a sip of my drink. "So since we're friends, you can tell me. What else is in your non-existent playbook? We've got Skaneateles and Orbis and the pier on the lake. And your motorcycle that seems to be a hit with everyone but me."

Theo laughed and leaned forward, resting his arms on the table. "Obviously, there's dino nuggets."

I laughed. "Dino nuggets are in your playbook?"