64| Hercules Mulligan and The Sons of Liberty in Action

ONCE my bagel was toast (and not in the deliciously crunchy way), I pretty much forced Skylar and Maverick to take me to Theo's

ONCE my bagel was toast (and not in the deliciously crunchy way), I pretty much forced Skylar and Maverick to take me to Theo's. Well, I kind of had to force Maverick because he was always the mediator and said I should take some deep breaths before freaking out too much. But Skylar was so on board, she thumped Maverick and the 3 of us headed to Theo's with no further discussion. Besides Skylar's occasional comment:

"I cannot believe the family drama going on here. This is like reality TV. It's basically Keeping Up With The Kardashians, but Cunningham style."

"Don't get me wrong, Sky, I love you," I said, "but this is fucked up."

"You're right. It's hella fucked up," Skylar agreed.

"Do you think Theo knows what the hell is going on?" Maverick asked, leaning forward in the back seat as we were just minutes away from the Montgomery's house.

"They're supposed to be celebrating right now," I said, sighing as I looked down at the stupid fucking newspaper in my hands.

There was no way my dad had written this. Right?

I didn't want to believe it, that was for sure. It wasn't something my dad would do. He wouldn't reach out to one of the biggest newspapers just to ruin someone's career before it even started. But I couldn't think of an explanation for the article and why my dad's name would be on it otherwise. It was unreasonable. It didn't make any sort of fucking sense.

The Montgomery's house was just ahead and Skylar turned into the driveway. I barely waited for her to completely stop the car before I got out and ran to the front door, both knocking and ringing the doorbell. I would have felt bad for interrupting their celebration if only I knew there was a chance the celebration ended early because of this article.

One thing was for sure: I was getting fucking sick of all the articles.

The door opened a minute later and it was Nic; he was wearing a sweatshirt with the hoodie pulled over his head, and I guess I assumed he'd be surprised to see me, Skylar, and Maverick standing outside the house. The problem was that he didn't look remotely surprised to see us. Nic just gave a clearly fake smile and then sighed and turned to yell into the house.

"Theo!" Nic yelled. "Our guests have arrived!"

Nic turned back to face us, ushering the 3 of us to come inside. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Nic," I said, "what the hell is going on?"

He leaned against the door frame, arms crossed over his chest. "We've been waiting for you all to show up."

"Ugh. See? He's such a little creep," Skylar said.

Nic rolled his eyes. "I see you found the article."