28| Nicolas Montgomery Cleans up Every Mess

MAVERICK didn't exactly take it well when he read the text Theo had sent me

MAVERICK didn't exactly take it well when he read the text Theo had sent me. The text that displayed the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Matteo had been in love with Maverick for over a year, he'd tried to tell Maverick at Orbis, and then when it didn't happen, he felt weird around Maverick and couldn't quite figure out how to revert back to normal.

We ended up bolting from the library and walking across campus back to the Alpha Chi apartment building. I called Skylar on the way to let her know what had happened in as much detail as possible while still trying to wrap my head around it and simultaneously make sure Maverick wasn't going to pass out or something. Suffice to say, Skylar said India was headed home and she would be ready for us when we got back to the apartment.

When we got inside, Maverick collapsed onto the sofa, looking just as shocked and confused as he had when he first read the text. Skylar mixed him together a non-alcoholic drink while I set up my phone so Skylar could read the text.

"Fucking hell," she muttered, then spoke quietly so only I could hear her. "Did Mav say anything after he saw this?"

I shook my head. Maverick hadn't said a word. His eyes were just wide with shock and contemplation. He looked like he couldn't believe what he was reading, and he hadn't seen it coming in the slightest bit. But he hadn't said a word about the text.

"I didn't know Matteo was gay," I said.

"I don't think he is," Skylar said and then sighed, putting a pause on the drink-making. "I vaguely remember having a conversation about Theo where he explained that Matteo doesn't really like labels. At least, he doesn't like labels on himself. And to be honest... I kind of understand this. I've always seen the way Matteo is around Mav. He softens like a fucking gelato in the sun."

"Oh," I said, then shook my head. Sexuality didn't matter. Really, there were only a few key things that mattered, which included the fact that Matteo loved Maverick and Maverick had no clue until now.

"And I hate that Theo had to mention Matteo finding a sexual distraction," Skylar said, fake-gagging. "TMI."

"I agree," I muttered, then turned around to look at where Maverick sat in the living room.

He was sitting on one of the couches staring straight forward with a blank and unreadable expression on his face. His legs were pulled tightly into his chest, arms wrapped around them like a protective barrier. He looked deeply disturbed, to be honest. He looked like he wasn't sure what he was supposed to be doing.

"What are we going to do about him?" I asked, spinning back around to face Skylar while she finished making the drink.

"Don't worry," Skylar said, "I've already called in for reinforcements."