36| Francesca's Words in the Inferno

"HOW are you even supposed to do well on a fake business proposal paper?" I said, exasperated as I crumpled up my graded assignment and threw it in the nearest trash can

"Ava did well," Matteo said, grinning at Ava with his arm around her shoulder.

"That's because Ava is good at business," I muttered. "And I hate it."

"Why would you throw it away?" Ava asked.

"Because," I said, "there will never be a time in my life I want to reminisce on the paper I wrote about business that received a D."

"I wish I was receiving a D," Matteo muttered and both Ava and I flicked the side of his head. "Uh, hey! Not cool! Sexual jokes should be appreciated!"

Ava backed away and faced us. "I have to go to my next class since I'm not at liberty to skip like some people."

I shrugged. "The party has to be set up by someone, and who better than Mr. President?"

She rolled her eyes. "I'll see you tonight."

"Looking forward to it, AC!" Matteo yelled.

"I'll see you tonight," I told her and she smiled at me before turning around and walking in the opposite direction.

Matteo and I walked back to the house to get ready to set up for tonight's party. It was Friday, which meant we were throwing the final party before Fall break kicked off. After tonight, Ava would go back home tomorrow. So I only had this time to be with her before she was gone for 2 weeks.

When we got back to the house and walked inside, Chad and Butler were already setting up. Chad was handing things to Butler who was then taking things over and setting them on the dining table to set up later.

"Oh, the fun festivities," Matteo muttered. "I'm gonna shower and I'll be down to help out with all of this amazingness."

Matteo went upstairs and I made my way into the kitchen, expecting it to be empty. But when I turned the corner, none other than my brother was standing by the open fridge, browsing through the selection.

"You have jack shit for food," Nic said, shutting the door to the fridge and turning around. "I heard you come in. Unless you want to believe I have psychic abilities."

"It gets more believable as the days go by," I muttered. "What are you doing here? And do I get the truth this time or am I gonna find out from mom that she has no idea you're even up here?"

"Don't worry your pretty little face, mom knows I'm here. They think I'm just here because I couldn't wait until Wednesday to see my favorite big brother!" Nic said.

"And why are you really here? To party?" I asked.

Nic shrugged. "Something like that," he said. "So what? Did you just finish class?"