26| On the Topic of Being Unwise...

NO, I didn't respond to Theo's text as not-so-little Nicolas Montgomery urged me to do

NO, I didn't respond to Theo's text as not-so-little Nicolas Montgomery urged me to do. I left Theo hanging until it was late in the evening on Monday and I had to catch the train back to Syracuse. My mother offered to call a helicopter to take me back to school so I would get there faster – yes, a fucking helicopter – but I denied her offer and opted to take the train, which was better anyway.

It was a longer train ride than it would have been helicopter ride, and it was even an hour longer than a typical car ride. But that gave me just over 5 hours on the train to listen to music, check the stocks, read the new book my dad had brought me, and think. Just think. I had a lot to think about, really, and even with the past 24 hours having been unoccupied and full of thinking, there was still more on my mind.

I thought about Theo a lot. I thought about everything Nic said about how I could trust Theo no matter what my parents believed. I also thought a lot about the mystery that was Nicolas Montgomery, who did mushrooms at The Box even though he was just 17. And even though he claimed that he and my brother led similar lives, Will had assured me that drugs we never going to be on his agenda.

I thought about my mother keeping secrets from my dad; how she had gone behind my dad's back and online-stalked the Montgomery's despite her best efforts to claim she wanted not a thing to do with them. Clearly, she cared more than she let on. And clearly, she was the one who hated the Montgomery's more than my dad, which must have had to do with the fact that my mother had a rocky past with Stacy Montgomery. What with both of them having dated Theodore Montgomery II for a period of time before he settled down with Stacy. My mother had her own agenda when it came to the Montgomery family, her own hatred. But there was no way in my mind that my mother would be so angry with the Montgomery's over something that seemed so minuscule.

I shook off the thought of my mother and her complications and hatred. It was the last thing I wanted to think about.

I thought more about Theo.

Matteo kept texting me to tell me that Theo was going crazy due to my lack of response, and Skylar had texted me both about Theo being crazy and about Chloe being pissed that I hadn't made it to the sorority meeting on Sunday. Apparently, Chloe had scheduled a meeting to discuss the profits of the cookie delivery service and Skylar told me how petty Chloe was being when she had to admit that the cookie delivery service was one of the most successful fundraisers in the past 2 years. It made me happy just thinking about Chloe being annoyed.

Anyway, as for Theo, Will had been the best person for me to talk to about what I should do about him. Oddly, I felt like I could believe Nic and trust Theo, but beyond that, I had to figure out where our relationship was going to stand.

"Do you want to date him?" Will asked.

"I don't know, I feel like it's too soon," I admitted. "It's too soon, right?"