22| Teetering on the Edge of Danger

BEING stuck in Ava's room could have been boring if not for the fact that I was incredibly nosy and decided to pick up pretty much anything and everything in sight

On one side of her bedroom was a giant bookshelf built into the white wall with a bench siting in front of it. I went and sat down on the cushioned bench and flipped through her collection of books. Mostly nonfiction memoirs and business books with a few works of fiction scattered throughout. I reached up and grabbed a book that caught my eye. A book that sat on display in front of all of the other books, much smaller than the rest.

As I held onto the book, the door opened and Ava squeezed through before shutting the door and immediately locking it. She had been gone for about 20 minutes and walked in with 2 glasses of water.

"I've managed to convince my mother that she's going insane," Ava said, walking over and handing me a glass of water. I moved my feet so she could sit down on the bench beside me and she pulled her legs up on the bench, spreading them out beside mine.

"My brother thinks your mother is insane," I told her, taking a sip of the water. "I'm guessing that's what Will has been telling him."

Ava laughed. "Yeah, well. He's right. She can be insane when she wants to be. And apparently she goes absolutely awol when she thinks there's a Montgomery under her roof."

"To be fair, there is a Montgomery under her roof," I said, smirking. Ava glared at me and then looked down, noticing the book I held. She scoffed.

"That old thing." She shook her head and reached out to run her fingers along the tiny cover.

"So why is it that you have a miniature Romeo & Juliet when you seem to detest the story?" I asked, ignoring the urge to touch her hand.

She groaned. "My dad got it for me as a gift when I was 10. I still hated the story at that point, but he said he got it because it was cute and, obviously—"

"It's your name."

"Yeah," she said, smiling. "It's so dumb, but I love that book. I won't read it, but I'll always keep it."

"I get it. It's not dumb," I told her, setting the tiny book back down and sending her a smile. "It's cute. Just like you."

Ava rolled her eyes and sat up, her face much closer to mine. It made it hard for me to look anywhere but her eyes or down at her lips. "You're teetering on the edge of danger, Theo."

"Is it the edge of danger, Juliet?" I asked, leaning forward to match her. "Or are you just saying that and inside, you're wanting me to push more?"

"Don't get ahead of yourself."

"Best behavior," I said, grinning and brushing my hand over hers. "Dare to let your walls down?"

Ava smiled down at my hand on top of hers and then met my eyes. "I suppose I've let my walls down a bit more," she said quietly. She laced our hands together, slipping her fingers through mine, for what seemed like half a second before she stood up and walked across the room, opening the blinds to her window.