Chapter 2

Mom pulled up to the school just as I had started to get nervous. Great. There were so many people. I felt like I was in daycare again when everyone brought their parents to school. 

Oh my gosh. They're were so many boys. Ugh! How will I ever survive this year?

It's okay, I said to myself. Get it together Juliet. All you have to do is find Annie and Becca. How hard can that be? Not too hard, right?

WRONG! Right when mom told me to get out, I was a wreck. I felt like I was going to get eaten alive.

"Have a good day sweetie!" said mom. I turned around and tried to look as horrified as possible.

Mom looked at me. Then she smiled. She motioned for me to come to her. I came towards her window and stuck my head in the car. 

She smiled at me. "You're going to be fine," she said in a confident voice. "Just be yourself."

 I smiled. Sometimes mom knows exactly when I need a pep talk.

"I love you, have a great day!" said mom. Then she drove away. 

I turned back around towards the school. I felt like throwing up. But I wanted a good rep this year. So that wasn't an option.

I started to walk towards the door of the school. This was my second year here. So I knew a lot of people.

I was almost about to reach the school gate when one of the jocks hit me with their football. I winced in pain. "Ow" I said. "Oh sorry" one of them said. Then they all laughed. 

Now I'm usually a shy person, but that was not nice. "Hey, that wasn't nice. Back-off me." I said, feeling more confident than ever.

"Aww, little girl is trying to stand up for herself. How sweet!" said a big blonde haired one. Okay, that was rude.

"What's your problem? Why don't you just leave me alone?!"  I said, beginning to turn red in fury.

"Or what? You'll give me a makeover?!" he shot back. "Ooooh!" said all the other guys behind him. 

I stood up on my tippy toes so I could be as tall as him (I was tall, but not that tall). 

"You don't even want to know, football brain!" I said back. I know, I know. That was a terrible burn, but I didn't know any good burns. 

I'm an only child so I didn't have much experience with insults. The big guy came toward me. 

He was as red as a firetruck. I could tell he wasn't used to being stood up by middle-school girls. But he was gonna have to get used to it because I wasn't letting him get away with insulting me like that. 

For a second, I thought I had won. I thought he was gonna run off and cry but that wasn't what happened next.

They all suddenly started chanting, "FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!" I was stunned. 

They expected this high schooler to try to fight a middle school girl?! Oh no. Definitely not! I wasn't coming home to mom with as black eye. Especially on the first day of school.

The blonde dude cracked his knuckles. I knew I was in trouble. I needed to get outta here. Quick. 

The guy pulled back his arm. Oh my gosh! I was about to get punched on the first day of 7th grade! 

I had to do something! Run, fightback, duck, scream. ANYTHING!

I was about to scream for help when he swung his fist into my face as hard as he could.

And the everything went black....