fool 2 - tanjirou (angst)

Pain have never been painful,

___

Screeching.

The security of familiarity, mixed with the anguish of screaming reminds you of your fool. And the sound of it bring torment to your broken heart.

It might've been the hopeless echo in your mind that repeated such horror, and you tried hard to believe it so. But it felt so real that it gripped your consciousness awake.

Your eyes opened in drowsy wakefulness, and when you looked at the direction where he's supposed to be lying - just far, but close enough - your breathing hitched as your vein ceased its flow.

'He's alive.'

Your heart pounded in hopeless abandoned when your eyes stared at the sight you never thought would be granted by the heaven.

'Tanjirou is alive.'

All you could see are your own tears blinding you with his broken silhouette - gaping at the boy you've never thought would ever return; body burning under the guise of the rising sun while your own shook in tired array of aching hope.

To see him... To see him move - alive, breathing and, yet deformed... Fate have a way to play with your heart and still, despite him becoming a demon - he's still Tanjirou... he's still your fool.

You can't help but gripped your chest in reckless despair.

'Why must hope be as painful as loss?'

Smoke rose over his body the way your disbelief does - controlling you to watch the transformation as your lips quiver at the horror and joy. You can't believe it. It's hard to believe it.

Your tired muscles are demanding you to stop, rest. Let it be. This is hallucination. This can't be true.

It's the loss of your blood reminding you that your aching heart is creating illusions to soothe the ache of his death.

"Tanjirou has turned into a demon!"

Yet Giyuu's hopeless screams urged you not to close your eyes and cry at the turn of event - but his warning gave you enough strength to fight back for what's yours.

You stood shakily, wounds opening as you try to reach for him - ignoring Zenitsu's cries as you tipped your broken blade as a cane.

"Expose him to the sun to kill him!"

Your limping feet walked, the weight of your screaming body sparked you with burning pain as you seethe it through, ignoring the taste of rusted iron that filled your mouth as your feet felt burned with every step.

"KILL HIM BEFORE HE MURDERS SOMEONE!"

You left your comrade's sides and ran after him faintly, an arm outstretched in helpless dream as you blinked the salty pearls away your vision. But Inosuke stopped you; pushing you down to the floor as he took your broken blade into his own.

You looked at the boar's eyes helplessly and shook your head, begging - pleading not to go ahead. Your broken voice murmuring incomprehensible as you try to look for words to stop him - but he did not listen.

He left with your blade in his hand and forgetting his own. Only to use it to defy the attack of your beloved.

Your own blade against your own heart. How poetic it must've sounded, but to see your own hurting him grieved your soul to falter.

"Stop," your voice scratched your throat in desperation, reaching for them as you try to stand up against the complaints of your own body.

They're unreachable. Your own pleas left drifting in the morning breeze. But you keep pushing your limit, in hopes to reach them him somehow. In desperation to reach him.

"Please,"

'don't kill him.'

Your shaking eyes watched as he stopped smoking, body curled into fours as he dried his lips. The eyes... those eyes - they're not his.

One hand met the ground, the other pulled your body up - tired feet dragging along the dirt as you whispered your prayers.

"I beg the heavens,"

'let it still be him.'

You took a stray nichirin blade and gripped its handle - the warmth on your face never-ending as you finally taste your own grief.

Inosuke did not kill him - he only stared at Tanjirou in disbelief. But the demon found nothing but a prey in front of him, leaping in the air to assault his former friend that stopped him.

"I plead to the gods,"

'let him know I'm here.'

You jumped in front of the boar, the stray katana in your hand as you curled your body just in time to stopped the upcoming attack. Your heart stopped at the face of your beloved, and yet the situation can't help you to admire his features.

Your body flinched and cower at the strength of his blow - limbs trembling in exhaustion mixed with pain as the heel of your foot ground itself into a halt.

Inosuke is crying behind you, frozen in his own disbelief as he watched the two of you fight against each other. You would too, for Tanjirou's kind burgundy eyes have gone feral - a broken mirror of the one that you grew to love.

But it's him. You remind yourself that it's him. Among the remnants of a demon: the inhumane veins, the sharpened teeth and his slatted eyes - you know that it's still Tanjirou.

You smiled brightly at the face of death; your porcelain teeth tainted in blood as your eyes lingered on the marks on his face.

"What are you doing (Name)!?"

Somewhere in there it's him.

"Stop! It's not worth the fight!"

"I beg the fates,"

'let my fool come back.'

Tanjirou's hands withdrew, hauling back in lightning speed as the tip of his nails sharpened - ready to cut your head apart. You raised the shaky blade just in times to be used as a shield between you, your grin not faltering as the blow deafened your whisper of his name.

His claws met your blade, again and again. Bones screaming inside your numb arms as you met them flawlessly without a beat.

And with each reflected attack, you said his name repetitively without hesitance - hoping, praying that somewhere inside this shell of a demon - he could hear you. That he'll be back.

'That my fool would come back.'

___

As one experienced emotionally.