chapter 5

"So how have you been all these days, Shen Wei?"

The quiet solemn expression changed in Shen Wei's face for a split second, before assuming its usual demeanour. Although he acts as nothing matters to him anymore, there was always the signs of past calamities which haunted him.

"I was doing perfectly fine Yunlanthank you for your concern."
Shen Wei laughed it off, a laugh that failed to reach his eyes.
Zhao Yunlan decided to drop that topic noticing the obvious discomfort. He swiftly diverted the matter.

"So... Shen Wei, I am planning to stay here for some time. Would you mind showing me around here? That is if you have the time of course. You know what? I prefer someone like you to a stranger to guide me out here..."
Yunlan asked expectantly, with a wide grin plastered on his face.

Looking up from the coffee in his hands, Shen Wei blinked twice (for which Yunlan's heart literally exploded). Wei could not bring himself to reject the puppy dog eyes that are fixed desperately on him, hence he replied awkwardly.

"I am okay with it..."

Meanwhile...

Yunlan, with every difficulty, suppressed his urge to dance like a kid who just got his favourite candy.

"I am only happy to show you around, but I wonder why wouldn't you choose a better vacation site. Nothing is amusing here anyway." Shen Wei aired his doubt.

"Huh?...Well... That's a secret Shen Wei... You will know it eventually", Yunlan replied with a  wink, desperately hiding his awkwardness. (Of course, I followed you here)- Yunlan added internally with a sigh.

Seeing the thirty-plus-year-old man acting like a little kid making up excuses in front of him,  Shen Wei decided to just leave the matter as it is, with a soft smile adorning his face. Somehow, this man in front of him is offering a long lost comfort in Shen Wei. And for now, he wanted to hold on to it.

_______________________

Zhao Yunlan accompanied Shen Wei till he reached the front of his house, despite the latter's resistance. Yunlan acknowledged that he is staying in a nearby hotel. They bid their goodbyes after making arrangements to meet the next day.
As Shen Wei opened the front door, his mother was there to greet him.

"I am home, mom."

"Welcome home dear, who was that man with you?" Mrs Shen asked curiously.

"Oh... He is Zhao Yunlan, mom. A friend."

"Friend? Then why didn't you invite him for a tea, Wei?"

"Maybe later mom. We already had coffee outside." Shen Wei chuckled.

"Is that so? I was just worried about you Wei, you shut yourself up after returning from the city, never talking to friends, never going out... Now l am relieved a little bit. Go out more. Breath some fresh air." Mrs Shen voiced her concern.

Shen Wei hugged his mom before nodding with a smile.

"Good night mom. Sleep tight." He breathed out.

Shen Wei was about to scoot into the comfort of his room when his father reached out to him. Mr Shen held him close by his shoulder and gently patted him.
"Good night, son".

Even though Mr Shen is in his late sixties, and Wei is thirty-two, it still didn't change the fact that he is his hero. The person to whom he always looks up to.

The very thing that prevented Shen Wei from falling into deep depression after what he suffered was this warm and affectionate, parental love. His parents never tried to pressure him with their building concern about his future. He felt blessed to have them.

Of course, his parents are aware of his sexual preferences, but his mom is oblivious about the miserable life he went through. She just know that her son broke up with his partner, which she thought is the result of him holing into himself. His father knew, but they both decided against acknowledging her, given her sensitive health conditions. He doesn't want to add to her worries.

__________________________

As the morning rays peaked into the room past the curtain fabrics veiling the glass windows.
Slowly flapping the long eyelashes that shadowed his cheeks, Shen Wei woke up to a new dawn. When the thought of a person who is waiting to meet him the very morning crossed his mind, a smile bloomed in that pretty face.

It's not like Shen Wei is unaware of YunLan's intentions. For now, he just terribly wanted to exorcise out the bad memories from his entire system. He just wanted to breathe fresh air as his mother asked him.

As expected, Yunlan was waiting for Wei in the aforementioned place. With an extra big grin on his face, this time, Yunlan didn't hide out his excitement to see this beauty of a person basking in the glory of morning sunlight, who caused his sleepless nights.

And...

That's how they started going out ( that is, in YunLan's point of view of course 😂) and according to Shen Wei, he is just showing him around the city...

(TBC.)

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

And that's it for today dear friends, and so sorry for the late updates because I am literally a slowpoke😅, taking time to do something...
Thank you for reading 😄😄.

Stay safe and healthy.