chapter 12

'Forty-year-old businessman is found stabbed to death in hotel Long Palace.'

Zhao Yunlan was working on his laptop when his attention caught this certain news, that filled the headlines of entire news channels that morning. As if he remembered something, he called out to the one who is now busy preparing their breakfast in the kitchen.
"Hey Xiao Wei, do you happen to know this Cheng Xin?
To his response, he heard only a clatter of metals followed by a soft sigh. Yunlan feeling something amiss, ran to the kitchen leaving his computer just like that.

When Yunlan entered the kitchen, his heart skipped a beat. He rushed to Wei's side and caught his fingers in his hands.

"Xiao Wei! You are bleeding!"
Yunlan began to panic and drag him towards the tap allowing the running water to wash his bleeding finger.

But Shen Wei pulled his hands away and avert his glance from Yunlan, bowing his head.

"It's just a small cut, Yunlan. Nothing to make a fuss about it."

"Just a small cut? Could you be any more careless, Xiao Wei? What if it gets infected?" Yunlan grabbed his hands again to apply for the medicine before using a band aid.

Seeing this even little caring side of Yunlan, Shen Wei could not control the tears that threatened to flow down any moment. His eyes started watering. He felt guilty about hiding things from Yunlan. Yunlan's expression also became more worried when he noticed that his Wei is crying.

"What happened to you, xiao Wei?" Yunlan could only embrace his lover who is now sobbing uncontrollably, his shoulders becoming wet with the warm liquid. Yunlan gently patted his back.

"I have been noticing this for several days, Xiao Wei. You are not yourself these days. What is weighing on your mind, dear? Why don't you share your burden with me?"

"It's...it's nothing, Yunlan. Please don't worry about me..."

"Xiao Wei, how couldn't I..." Yunlan felt helpless. He doesn't want to force Shen Wei to speak. He could only hope that Shen Wei will tell him everything when he can't bear the burden anymore.

..................

Even in the office, Shen Wei was so distracted. He kept making lots of mistakes while handling the files, raising the concern of his co-workers. Unable to digest the sight of his depressed lover, Zhao Yunlan decided to send him home early, signing a half-day leave for him. Yunlan also accompanied him, unwilling to let him go alone.

Shen Wei was silent throughout the way as Yunlan drove home. While Yunlan is parking the car as they arrived at their place, they can see some policemen lingering in their neighbourhood.

At the sight of uniformed men, Shen Wei's face paled and his hands slightly shivered. An unknown fear of something dawned on him. He felt like his muscles are twitching in their place.

As soon as they entered their apartment, Shen Wei walked straight towards the couch in the living room and laid on it on his stomach, his face slumping deep down into the pillow. Yunlan let out a deep sigh for he cannot figure out the mood swings of his lover and went towards the bedroom to change.

Ten minutes barely passed by, when they heard their doorbell ringing and a series of knocks from the front. Slightly annoyed by the unwanted disturbance, it was Yunlan who went and opened the door revealing three or four police officers on the doorstep.

After showing Yunlan their ID, one of them began to ask.

"Are you Mr Zhao Yunlan?"

"Yes, that's me."