Southern Constellations

I wake up around 1pm, still snuggling into Dan. It seems again, like I'm the only one who's awake. Carefully I roll away from Dan and tiptoe into the back to just lounge around.

Last night was pretty great. Dan's a nice guy, funny too. Also hot. And so smart. Maybe even just a little too perfect, but I don't mind. I'd rather him be too good than be bad. He says what he's thinking, he doesn't hide things or play with my feelings. He's open and honest. He's not like Mike. And that's what I need. I need not Mike.

"Pretty girl, did you leave me sleeping alone?" Dan asks, padding into the back with me. He lays down on the couch, his head in my lap.

"Only physically." I reply

"Ooh, I like that." he says. He checks the time on his phone. "Do you know where we are?"

"Nope, not a clue. I figure we're halfway there, though. We left at 4 and its 1 now, so we've got like, I don't know, 9 hours left?"

"Smart and pretty? A triple threat."

I laugh. "You only named two things."

"And you can count? Wow. Triple threat."

See? He's funny.

We spend the whole afternoon together, just talking and joking around. We make out a couple times, but nothing too risky since everyone keeps coming into the back with us. Everyone but Mike, of course.

By 12am most of us are so tired from being on the road that we all fall asleep fairly quick. I decide to sleep on my own, Dan was busy working on some tour stuff by time I was headed to my bunk so I didn't wanna disturb him.

"So," Jamie says as I get into bed. "whats going on with you."

I know what he means.

"I just kinda realized that I like Dan more." I say. "You were right with what you said the other day, I don't wanna get caught up in Mike when he's that closed off."

"Good." he says. "Dan's a good guy too. One of the best that I've met. I think you guys are good together."

I look at him, genuinely shocked.

"What? No threats for him? He passes your test?" I ask. "He's the only worthy person who gets to be near me?"

"I'm just protective because most guys are up to no good. Even Mike. But Dan is genuinely a great dude. I trust him."

"Well I'm glad he's approved by you. I could see myself being really into him." I say. "Anyways I'm gonna go to bed. See you tomorrow Jamie."

"Night, Row. See ya in Atlanta."