A Match Into Water

Too drunk to drive home, I make my way upstairs to "my room" at Jaime's.

It was a fun night as always with most of the band and some other friends too. I think Im starting to really get into this friend group. I like them, theyre cool people. Only downside is we drink so much that even walking up stairs is a task.

As I open the door to my room something catches my eye.

Mike.

Mike's in my room.

Just sitting there, waiting for me.

"Hi." he says, his voice soft.

I'm so drunk that for a second I wonder if I'm imagining things. But I'm not.

"Hi, Mike." I say, my tone unsure.

Its been six months. He looks so good. All my feelings come back to me and I realize how much I missed him.

"I didn't see you at the party." I say to fill the air.

He shrugs. "I saw you and I wasnt sure if I could ...deal with it."

"Oh." I say. "i can go if you want?"

"No, I wanted to talk to you."

I go and sit near him on the bed.

"I really was into you." he says. "I wanted you since your birthday. I know I didnt act like it but then when I told you I wanted you, you just... left."

"I fucked up." I admit.

He laughs. "Yeah, we both did."

"I wasnt great to you."

"Neither was I." he says. "I'm sorry for all the stuff I put you through. I wasnt fair to you. I was fucking other people. I told you I loved you and then I went out and fucked someone the next day. I didnt want to want you so I tried to do things to sabotage us."

"Its okay, we werent meant to be I guess." I say with a shrug.

Mike looks over and stares at me.

"What?" I ask after about ten seconds.

"I wanna try again." he says. "We were meant to be together. You excite me like nobody else does."

I want to say yes so badly but part of me just thinks it'll be like last time. Im torn.

"Unless you dont want that?" Mike asks.

"I dont want us to fuck up even more than we already have." I say.

"This time I'll do anything to prove how I feel. Just you and me. No pretending." he says.