Getting Settled

Almost a week passed since Alicia arrived in the Devildom. She couldn't help but make mental notes of the things around her. The dance battles were interesting, the food was grotesque. And whoever was in charge of cooking human food clearly didn't know what seasoning was. She regretted not asking Mammon to take her to a grocery store before they came back to the Devildom. 

She hadn't seen much of the brothers since she arrived, except for breakfast. She was used to skipping breakfast, but Lucifer made it clear that breakfast wouldn't be an option, that she'd need all the energy she could get if she wanted to do well in her classes. 

Words were barely exchanged between her and the boys at the breakfast table. She was never one to talk to strangers, and she was more than comfortable with her own company. One should be focusing on their food anyway when they sat at a table, it was a good way to avoid overeating, but she knew that eventually, she would have to talk to them. 

Pressingly, she needed to talk to Lucifer. She had a few more questions, and this time she wrote them down so she wouldn't forget, she couldn't forget. She barely paid attention to what the teacher said, all she heard was mumbling, and then the bell. Time to find Lucifer. 

Alicia calmly walked out of the door, her notebook in hand. Her first thought was to go to his room in the House of Lamination...if only she could remember where that was. A week in and I still don't know how to get back to the house on my own. 

She wandered around for almost half an hour before she found herself in front of the gates of the house. "Thank goodness for muscle memory."Holding the book close to her chest, she walked into the building and simply stared up the stairs. Which way was Lucifer's room?

"Oi! What are you doing? Can't find your room, again?" Satan asked as he walked out of the basement.  "You should know where you sleep by now."

"I'm not looking for my room. I know where my room is. I'm looking for Lucifer's."

"Lucifer's?" Satan chuckled and covered his face. "He's not in his room. If you need him for anything, you should text him." Before Alicia could protest, Satan started walking the girl to her room. "You shouldn't stand around looking lost. I heard a few demons whispering about you earlier today."

"Oh what, they were going to eat me?" Alicia asked, sarcasm laced in her voice. She hated being escorted around like a child, but she wasn't going to fight with the Avatar of Wrath. 

"You sound like you're joking, but that's exactly what they were talking about," Satan said, matter-of-factly. "You seem to forget, a human soul is very tantalizing for demons, and your bodies are often used for food. If you weren't under the protection of the student council, and a guest of Diavolo, you would've been demon food."

Alicia stayed quiet when Satan pointed out the facts. He was right, and she knew it, but she was still annoyed. She wasn't used to not knowing her surroundings, and a week was not enough time to get to know the entire campus. 

"Are you settling in okay?" Alicia snapped out of her own mind when she heard the question. Was she settling in okay? The uniform was a little itchy, and she wasn't used to this unseasonal weather. The food wasn't great, but she was fine. 

"Yeah, I'm fine." She pressed her back against her bedroom door and looked up at Satan. "But I could use a tour around the campus...Do you think that's something we can do?" 

Satan raised an eyebrow and made a small hmph noise. "Sure, I'm sure I could carve out time to show you around the school. Let's meet up after dinner and we can get it out of the way. The sooner you know where you're going, the sooner you'll stop looking like a walking target around here." 

As he left, Alicia sighed and went into her bedroom. She tossed her notebook on the bed and sat by the computer desk, lazily spinning in the chair. She took in the leaves that hung over her bed, and the pretty pink comforter that Asmodeus gifted her. The room was comfortable, but it was still unfamiliar. Gonna have to make it familiar, it's home for the next year. 

She glanced at the computer and shrugged, signing on and pulling up the internet. First, she tried logging on to Facebook and was greeted with an error message as if she typed in a nonexistent website. With an eye roll, she half-heartedly tried Instagram and was thrown to a Devildom social media page called Devilgram. "Is it like parental control blocks, or do they just not reach down here?" She muttered, putting her head on her desk. 

She had no way of getting pictures of her family or friends. She couldn't message anyone, and she couldn't keep tabs on her siblings. The one thing she could feel, was her anxiety climbing up her chest. She felt like she was going to choke. She took a deep breath and covered her face. She wasn't used to being out of the loop, and she wasn't used to not calling her mom every day. Even when she stayed away at summer camps, she was able to call her mom every morning when she woke up, and every evening before she went to bed. She was able to joke around with her siblings on Facebook, and she was always able to video chat with her friends. 

Once she composed herself, she decided to get in the shower. She spent almost half an hour in there, savoring the homey feeling she felt as she lathered with her peppermint soap. When she finished, she threw on a pair of black leggings and a comfortable, purple jersey tee shirt and sneakers. She checked her D.D.D. and saw she had a few minutes until it was time for dinner. Absently scrolling through the device, she stopped when she saw Lucifer's number. She bit her lower lip, and sent him a text message. 

Can we talk before lights out?