Happy Birthday?

By the time Jack and Geoff had found all of the kids Ryan was about seven years old. Keep in mind that Michael and Gavin were maybe 3 and Ray was close to being one. It was a pretty big age difference. Now Ryan was turning 12. A big number for the small child. Michael and Gavin were both 7 going on 8 later next year, and Ray was 5. Ryan sure had grown quite a bit. It started to effect the family too.

"Ryan my man. What are we doing for your birthday? We need ideas kiddo," Geoff said.

"I dunno. Can I have a sleepover with my friends?" Ryan asked.

"Sure thing buddy," Geoff said ruffling his hair.

True to his word, on December 6th Ryan had all of his friends at his home. Ray, Michael, and Gavin were all in Jack and Geoff's room playing video games so they didn't interrupt the party. Michael and Gavin weren't really upset they didn't get to celebrate with Ryan, but Ray was.

"Ray? What's wrong?" Jack asked.

"Rye is so happy with his friends. He forgot all about our special tradition," Ray said.

"What tradition?"

"Every year the day before his birthday we'd count down the minutes until midnight and I'd always be the first to tell him happy birthday. This year, I haven't even talked to him today," Ray sighed.

Jack understood the child's situation. Ryan was getting to that age. He had started to put his friends before his brothers. That hit Ray the hardest. Ryan had always been as close as possible with Ray. Now that Ryan was getting older this bond would break.

Ray glanced over and watched Michael and Gavin play the game. Ray didn't know what it was, but he didn't want to ask. What about when Ryan grows up? Ray will be all by himself. Michael and Gavin are tied to the hip. They're the same age so they would always be together. Ray would be alone.

It was getting late so Jack sent Ray, Michael, and Gavin off to bed. When Ray went to sleep he knew he was going to have a nightmare. He knew it, and Ryan wasn't going to be there for him.

~

Ray ran down the hall and looked for Ryan's door. It wasn't there. Where was it!

Ray fell on the floor and cried. Ryan was gone. Forever.

~

Ray's eyes burst open wet with tears. He needed to know, needed know Ryan was there.

Ray stumbled down the hall on his wobbly legs looking for Ryan's door. Ray almost screamed when he happily found the door. He slowly opened the door and stepped through.

He could see Ryan on his bed so he stepped over Ryan's friends who were on the floor and stood by the bed. He gently nudged Ryan awake and motioned to go out in the hall.

Ryan walked along with the toddler out into the hall where Ray began to sob quietly. Ryan grabbed the boy's hand and walked to the front door and exited the home. Ryan and Ray sat on the step in front of the door when Ray started to cry harder.

"Ray? What's wrong?"

"Y-You don't want me anymore," Ray cried.

Ryan winced once he heard the words come out of Ray's mouth. Sure Ryan had been a little distant recently, but how did the toddler come to assume this.

"Ray what in the world do you mean by that?" Ryan asked.

"You forgot our tradition! We do it every year, but you forgot," Ray cried harder.

Ryan just snickered and the young Ray looked even more hurt. Ray'a little toddler heart was starting to hurt until Ryan finally spoke up.

"Ray you silly goose. My birthday is tomorrow. I had an alarm set to come get you in a few minutes so we could carry out the tradition. I would never forget," Ryan said reassuringly giving the boy a hug.

"Really?" Ray asked with a smile on his face.

"Of course."

The two carried out the tradition, and had a happy evening.

~~~~~~~~
A/N: so it's been a year since I've updated this, but why not hop back in. Sorry for the wait. I've been a little uninspired, but I got motivated.

As some of you know I wrote a pretty popular mavin fic. If you haven't read it you should check it out. But anyway, I'm considering starting another. Since that's been most popular, and mavin just doesn't get enough love. Anyway, here's a little r and r fluff. Sorry for dying. :)