Decision

March 2093

My dad works all the way in California – basically on the other side of the country. He got this job when I was 5. He had always made short films, and then a pretty popular movie producer contacted him. He moves up from there, helping make pretty big films. The good thing about it is, it pays really well. The bad thing is that he is never here. One time he even had to skip my birthday. It sucked. But he has tried to visit us more often now, and I am glad. But this was a total surprise.

"So how have you been? How's school?" he asked me.

"I'm doing pretty good. And I have A's in all classes" I replied.

"Why am I not surprised?" he said. I smiled.

"Well your mother and I were planning to go out tonight, is that okay?" he said as he stood up from the couch.

"Of course! You two go have fun!" I said. They got their things ready to go as I went upstairs.

First, I did my homework. It took me about 30 minutes. Then I texted Avery. A few days ago, she said she had something to tell me, so I asked her if she could call. She responded with yes.

"hey! What's up?" she said.

"nothing much." I responded.

"yeah... so about that thing I wanted to tell you" she said.

"what is it?" I asked.

"it's about Dandon" she said.

"That college you want to get into? Don't you have to go there for senior year or something stupid like that?" I asked.

"Yeah. But it's my dream to go there, and if I am going to apply it's now. I mean junior year is almost over." Said Avery.

"You're right but then you have to move to Texas!" I said.

"Well, yeah but it's my dream. And I am going to apply whether you want to be here or not." She said.

"I didn't mean it like that. I will support you with whatever you do. You know that. And of course I want to be here when you apply" I said. And I meant it. I stayed on the phone with her for a while as she filled out her information.

"Well. I've applied" she said with a sigh.

"I am happy for you." I said.

___________________________________________

"Erica we're home!"

I heard my mom and dad come through the door. I went downstairs to ask how their evening was. They told me it was good, and I went back upstairs. I didn't have much else to do, so I decided I would head to bed. I laid down and started to think about the astronauts and the planet. It would be so crazy if we found another habitable planet. Just imagine it...