Ice Cream

June 2093

"Erica I'm so proud of you!"

My dad was home and I had just told him about winning the test at my school.

"I can't believe your smarter than all those seniors" he said.

"They were only taking the test because they are full of themselves. They all have B's anyway."

My dad laughed.

Since I was a little angry when I found out for the first time, I was taking it all in. I won. My whole school. That's crazy.

Then he got a little more serious. We were going to talk about Avery.

"Erica, I know it's hard after what happened with Avery and I'm glad your talking to a therapist. But I want you to always remember I will always be here for you and will help you with anything and everything"

A lot of people were telling me that these days. And it's funny. They told Avery that too, yet it wasn't enough. We say we love each other but how do we know we actually mean it? How do we know if anyone even feels it? There's not much else you can really do. Just hope that maybe one day someone will actually care enough to tell you that everyday, not just during hard times. And not to just tell, but to make sure you feel loved and secure all the time.

"Thank you" I said.

But I don't know if I mean it at all anymore.

_______________________________________

I was relaxing on my phone when I heard the front door open.

"Well... Where is she?"

It was grandma.

"I'm right here!" I say as I walk down the stairs. I am greeted by a hug.

"Oh pumpkin! I am so proud of you! I knew you could win!" my grandma said.

"Aw thanks grandma!" I said laughing. She was more excited than I was.

"You know what? Let's go out for ice cream. How does that sound?" She said.

"That sounds great! You two go have fun." My dad said. I went to go get my phone and we headed out. I loved going out with grandma. She was always so happy even though a lot of things in her life weren't. Like after my grandpa died, she was still her optimistic self. She also believed in God, and that everything happens for a reason. I would ask her if she was sad about grandpa dying (since I was little) and she would tell me: "Of course I am heart broken. But I know that god has a plan, and grandpa is no longer suffering. He is in a better place and we will all be with him soon". I was so confused when she said that; thinking that heaven was a place on earth, like a playground.

When we got to the ice cream store it immediately brought back memories, and I could picture myself standing by the bench, pale after I knew where Avery was. I didn't even realize the tears in my eyes and grandma was looking at me.

"Oh Erica I'm so sorry" grandma said.

"No, no grandma it's not your fault" I said. I didn't want grandma to feel bad.

"We could go get donuts instead. It's right down the stree-"

"It's ok grandma. Really, ice cream sounds amazing." I said.

"Are you sure? It would be no problem"

"I'm positive. Let's go"