Presents

I received an email a few days later from NASA.

Erica Wilson,

Congratulations! You are one of the 50 children chosen to help with this space mission. You scored 95% out of 100% on the Georgia state space test.

95%? That's high!

We would like to inform you about what will be happening in the near future.

In one week, a professor from NASA academy will come to get you. She/He will bring you to the academy. The academy is where you and the other 49 children will be staying before we head to space. You will have your own room with a kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and sitting area. At the academy you will learn the rules and will be provided with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We are hoping you will socialize with your peers, and get to know them before the work begins.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us although most of your questions will be answered while you are at the academy.

We are excited to have you,

NASA

One week? That felt like a little too soon. When would I see everyone again? How long would I be in space? What would I be doing? It was a lot to take in. I began to get really nervous. What were the other kids like?

I went downstairs and showed my mom and dad the email. After reading through it, they told me their thoughts.

"A week?" my mom said. "Isn't that a little early?"

"When will you come home?" my dad asked. They sounded unsure, but they couldn't take me out now, could they? I was already chosen. We already had a party.

"I don't know, but I'm excited" I lied.

"As long as you're happy, we're happy" my mom said.

________________________________

The next few days went by slowly. My mom emailed NASA with a lot of questions. And surprisingly they answered pretty quickly.

Julie Wilson,

We read your questions and hope these answers will help.

Yes, your daughter Erica Wilson will be able to contact you during this whole mission.

No, convenient face-to-face visits will not be able to take place during this time, though scheduled visits will happen throughout this time.

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to go into depth about how long Erica will be gone, nor how much danger Erica will be in throughout the mission.

We hope these answers helped.

NASA

"Oh" my mom said.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing" she said. Then she went to fold the laundry.

I decided to head back upstairs.

They couldn't tell us how much danger I would be in? Does that mean I would be in a lot of danger? I went to lay down in my bed and checked clicker. I saw Cassie posted on her story.

'So grateful to be chosen! Space has always fascinated me!'

I rolled my eyes. How cheesy. She had never liked space in the years that I've known her. Was there not a person in the whole state of Florida that was smarter than her? I was frustrated and felt so, so annoyed.

I looked at my desk and saw the scissors.

And for the first time in a long time, I stayed exactly where I was.

___________________________________

"Erica! Come down!" I heard my mom call.

Every time they wanted to talk to me, I was always scared they would find a way to pull me out of the space competition. Even though I was really nervous, I still wanted to do it.

"Yes?" I said as I walked into the kitchen.

"Come over here" my dad said as he brought me to the living room. My mom was already there.

I sat down on the sofa right in between them.

"Since you are leaving in 2 days" my mom began.

"We got you something." My dad finished.

"You didn't have to. Really" I said. Most of the gifts I had gotten from the party had some cringey outer space pun in the card and the gift was either some craft a little kid had made, or money. Not that I could use money in space, but it was the thought that counted?

"Of course we had to. We are so proud" my mom said.

"And I also have something for you too when they are done" my grandma said as she walked in.

"Anyway, here you go" my dad handed me a small jewelry box. It was white with a light blue bow on the top.

I took out the bow and lifted the lid.

Inside was a silver necklace with a star charm. I carefully lifted it out and held it in my hand. The star looked like it was made of diamond and was a little big, but it was still stunning.

"Oh my goodness. This is gorgeous" I said.

"Open it" my mom said.

"What?" I replied.

"It's a locket" my dad said.

Oh so that's why it was so big.

I carefully opened the star and inside was a little piece of paper.

'we love you to the moon and back' it read.

I began to tear up. My parents had told me that since the day I was born.

I looked at them and they had tears in their eyes too. Then we all hugged. It was kind of like something that would be in a movie. A sweet moment between a family ended off with a group hug.

"Thank you" I said. I couldn't imagine what it would be like without them. On a whole different planet.

We all sat there for a moment. My mom stroking my hair back and my dad with his arm around me. It was so peaceful.

"Well what about my gift?" grandma said. We giggled a bit, then I got up and sat next to her on the love seat.

"Look at this" she said. She pointed to her ring. It was the ring she wore everyday. It was just a small butterfly, but she never took it off. She told me it was from her mom who died of cancer.

"What about it?" I asked.

"It's yours now." She slid it off and put it on my finger.

"Grandma- I cant-"

"yes you can" she said.

"But it's yours! You never take it off" I said.

"Erica. I want you to have this." She said.

"I don't know what to say" I said. Still shocked.

"Then don't say anything at all."

I started to tear up all over again, and she gave me a tight hug.