Ice Cream

April 2093

Ugh. I woke up and started my morning routine. I really didn't want to go to school. After a long weekend of excitement, school was the last thing I wanted to do. I took a shower after my walk and then got dressed. I felt really lazy, so I just threw on a navy blue hoodie and some black leggings. I put my hair in a messy bun and headed to school.

I was pretty early so I headed to the gym. A bunch of freshmen were there because for them getting there early was "cool". So, I decided it would be a good time to study. After we signed up, my mom and I figured out the tests would be in three weeks. It was kind of sudden, but I'm sure everyone wanted to find out more about the planet. After that, the bell rang and all those "cool freshmen" scattered out of the gym giggling.

All through my classes, I kept thinking about how Avery got so mad. It kind of scared me, the way she started shouting. But I guess I was bragging. Then that reminded me of the space selection. I kept thinking of scenarios where I saved the day and I was famous. I smiled to myself. I knew that would never happen.

__________________________________

It was now 5:30. Avery said she would be here at 5. The ice cream store closed at 6 so I had already gotten my ice cream. I kept texting her asking where she was, but she didn't even open them. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. She was really mad at me. I decided to call grandma so I could at least talk to Avery.

"Hello?"

"Hi grandma."

"Hi honey!" I loved my grandma's voice. No matter what was going on her voice always calmed me.

"I was wondering if I could talk to Avery?" I asked.

"Well I'm afraid she is at Cassie's house" she responded.

"Oh. Well that's fine. Thank you" I said. Then I hung up.

Ouch. She ditched me to hang out with one of her friends. That hurt even more. Was I really being that mean? Did I say something and not realize it? I didn't have Cassie's number since she and Avery just met this year. I had all of Avery's other friend's numbers. So I had to find her on clicker to text her. (Clicker is like a future Instagram) She responded pretty quickly and asked if I could call.

"Hey Cassie!" I said.

"Hey Erica! What do you need?" she responded.

"Um I was wondering if I could talk to Avery?"

"Uh- is she not with you?" she said.

"What do you mean? My grandma told me she was with you" I said.

"I'm sorry I don't know where Avery is." She said.

I was a little scared now. No one knew where Avery was and she lied to everyone.

"No worries, um... I'll find her" I said. Except I wasn't very sure of it.

I tried calling her. She didn't respond. I texted her almost 100 times but she didn't respond. She didn't even look at them. Then I decided to look on snapchat. It was an old app she still liked to use and you could see your friends location.

When I saw where she was, my heart stopped.

Peach Street North Bridge.