Chapter 32: Battle of New York

I teleported my way to the briefing room, where Maria Hill and Fury stood side by side, watching through multiple monitors. My suit made silent clinks on the metal floor, making Fury and Hill turn my way. Fury gave me a look, a sense of pride and determination on his face. I gave him a sly smirk, feeling good and confident in my new suit. Fury walked up to me, and in a quick motion, I engulfed him in a tight hug. My heart sped up as emotions started to build up, and tears flooded my eyes before I can stop them.

"I'm sorry," I cried out in a rasp. By now, everything inside me was an angry storm. Anguish, loneliness, and guilt swirled in me, seeping into my skin and bones. "I'm sorry I wasn't good enough," my voice came with a crack, as multitude of tears fell, staining Fury's coat. "I'm sorry I couldn't s-s-save Coulson, I didn't do better- I wasn't better, I'm so s-sorry."

And it was true. If I had went for Loki earlier, then maybe Coulson would be alive. Wounded maybe, but not dead. So little different actions would've made whole lot of difference.

Third Person's Point of View

Fury hugged the girl closer, not minding the suit. He let her bawl on his coat, closing his eye and letting an angry tear drop. She was a kid. She may be a Stark, she may have powers, but she's still just a kid. She isn't supposed to be fighting a battle. She isn't supposed to be bruised and wounded. But she is. And that's a fact he's got to accept. The only thing he can do now is to help. To help her heal. To dry her tears. To keep her, in his best power, safe. But for now, he'll hold her and give her what she needs. Strength.

"Elise," he stated in a soft manner, gently letting go of her and wiping her tears. "You've got to listen and understand me, okay?" Elise nodded feebly, letting him wipe her tears. "None of it, and I'll say it again, none of it is your fault. You did good. You did what you had to do. You did your best and that is enough, okay? You're not a soldier, you're a kid Elise. What you did to help is enough. What happened, maybe, was supposed to happen, and Coulson knew what he was going up against, so it isn't your fault. It's not any of our faults. You understand me?"

"Yeah," Elise nodded, squaring her shoulders and nodding firmly. Fury nodded at her in pride. "Thank you," she added. Fury smiled. He grabbed her hand and placed a golden locket on her hand, gently. "I think you know what this is," he commented. Elise gave her a knowing look but smiled wolfishly. "Of course I do, I can't believe you'd take the job though? I thought you answered to no one?" She asks in a teasing tone while flipping on her visor and activating her boot jets. Maria, seeing what she was doing, opened a window for her to fly out, while Fury just smirked at her comment.

"I mean, come on your Gramdmother is hella scary." She laughs at this while clipping on the necklace he gave her. Giving Fury another glance, he gave her a stern nod, and she nods back, powering her thrusters and shooting out towards the Manhattan skyline.

Elise's Point of View

"Hey J, connect me to Dad will you?" I ask, as the blue sky enveloped me and the clouds parted as I soared and gliderd as if I was on water.

"Of course, Miss Stark."

A small beep was heard before a slight crackle, "Hey kid, where are you?"

"On my way, dad. Where are you?"

"STARK Tower, top floors, just flying around and blasting aliens," dad said with dripping sarcasm making me laugh and increase the power on my thrusters, with a little boost from my powers.

"Well, ETA's three minutes so expect me to crash your party."

"Fun! Hurry up, I want you to get a few blasts in here." While I stayed on the line, I soared through the Manhattan skyline, easily spotting a... Yep. It's a hole in the sky. Aliens pouring out it. Blue beam. And oh, is STARK tower being used as a station? They better not have messed with my rooms.