Chapter XLI - Corollary

​For the following days, naging laman ng balita ang tuluyang pagsara sa kaso ng mass abduction sa Probinsya ng Yonhwa at maging ang pagbibigay parangal at promotion sa mga natirang miyembro ng Ace Team.

​"I'm thinking of transferring you to SCID. Their office is located at the headquarters, and recently I talked with Director Pascual. He also agreed to me that you will be a great addition to their team."

​Jiwon clearly heard every word that her father uttered to her in the middle of their rare father-and-daughter dinner at one of the finest restaurant in Yonhwa's mainland. She was actually well aware na mayroon itong sasabihing mahalaga sa kanya—for the old man only spend his precious time sa mahahalagang bagay lamang, but she was quite surprised na napa-aga ang ideyang ililipat siya nito sa headquarters kung saan mababantayan ng kanyang ama ang lahat ng kanyang ikikilos. That idea made her lost her appetite.

​Even before she decided to pursue her profession ay ninais na niyang paglingkuran ang sariling probinsya at doon mamalagi nang mahabang panahon hanggang sa kailanganin na niyang magretiro. But after hearing her father's suggestion, which sounded more likely as an order to her bilang superior niya, she felt bushed.

​"Pa, please give me enough time to wrap the cases na nasimulan ko nang imbestigahan... bago n'yo po ako ilipat."

​"Alright," mabilis na sagot ng kanyang ama, 'cause he clearly knew how Jiwon was feeling about the unsolved cases na basta na lamang maiiwan sa opisina kung sakaling ma-transfer agad ang dalaga. "Siya nga pala, Jiwon, nakausap mo na ba ang Yaya Jing mo? It's been days since I last heard a word from her. Kung hindi na siya makakabalik dito sa Yonhwa, then I will start looking for her replacement who will attend to your needs hangga't hindi ka pa nata-transfer sa SCID," again his voice was full of authority.

​Kung maaari lamang sabihin ni Jiwon na nakausap na niya ang kanyang Yaya Jing at narinig niyang babalik na ito sa lalong madaling panahon, nagawa na niya sana. Unfortunately she can't tell her father a lie. She had never heard from her yaya since the day na inihatid niya ito sa terminal ng bus. There was an odd feeling lingering inside her chest, telling her that there's something wrong about her yaya's situation in Victoria, but she was always brushing off that negativity, thinking na hindi niya dapat ine-entertain ang ganoong klaseng kutob lalo pa at tungkol iyon sa babaeng tumayong nanay niya for so many years.

​"She... never called. But I'm pretty sure that something's making her busy there in Victoria. She'll be back anytime soon, I know."

​"But Exelito's been busy—"

​"Pa, I'm okay. I don't need help. Kumakain ako sa tamang oras."

​For a moment, her father stared at her. Tila ba ine-eksamen nito kung nagsasabi nang totoo ang dalaga. And as he confirmed something, he dropped the fork and knife on his porcelain plate, leaned back, and dabbed the white handkerchief on his lips before he said, "Alright then. I'll send someone to go and check on your Yaya Jing in Victoria."

​Jiwon heaved a deep breath. Tila ba noon lamang siya nakahinga nang maluwag 'cause it was the most gratifying words she ever heard from her father's mouth since their dinner started. "Thank you," she said sincerely.

​"How's your head?" he started to sound like a real father. Concerned and worried at the same time. "Iniinom mo ba ang gamot mo sa tamang oras?"

​"Yes, pa," she answered without looking at him. It sounded like she was telling the truth, but her face was showing the opposite.

​The next day was no different and special, but then Jiwon heard a piece of news from Canoonan Children's Village and decided to head there in the middle of her busy day.