Homecoming

Y/N POV

The next couple days were a little awkward after our little scene in the car, Daniel even started taking the bus home after it. Nothing crazy happened, I just don't know what to say after that. We didn't say anything when we drove back home, and we didn't say more than a few words the days after. Honestly, I don't think it meant anything, especially if nothing special happened after. We weren't caught up in a moment, we were just embracing the peace.

The days flew by and it was finally Friday. Homecoming weekend. I didn't get to ask Daniel what his plans are for homecoming cause I was too busy learning the details of my supposed-to-be-homecoming back home. I'm in the car waiting for Daniel when a car honks behind me. I turn around to see what their deal is. The car kept driving past the driveway back and forth honking at me. I ignored it, and cursed the driver out under my breath. I text Daniel so that we can leave as soon as possible.

Where are you?

Giraffe - i'm already outside. get out of the car.

What? Why?

Giraffe - are you really gonna ask questions now? i'm gonna be late for school if you don't get out now.

I sigh and put my phone down.  I take out the key and put it in my pocket while getting out. I do as he says and turn around, my back towards the driveway. The same car honks behind me, and I turn around. It's a red pickup truck, with a handful of balloon tied to it. There's red and white roses outlining the trunk, which has Daniel sitting in it. The pickup truck backs up into the driveway, the passenger seats are filled up with Corbyn and Jonah in the front, and Zach and Jack behind them. Daniel stands up holding a bouquet of red and white roses. He holds out his hand for me take, and I do so. We sit down on the floor of the trunk and he faces his body towards me, still holding my hands.

"Daniel, what is all this?" I say, looking at all the roses surrounding us. I turn back to him to see his warm smile.

"I know you were a little bummed that you were gonna miss your homecoming, so I thought maybe you'd come with me to mine. And, I know we haven't really talked this week, but I've been making friends. They're pretty cool, nothing compared to the guys of course, but they're alright. I've been doing good, and I'm having a good "Senior Experience" or whatever you and your friends call it." 

With great pride I tell him, "That's great Daniel, I-" but he stops me before I could keep going.

"But, as great as it's been. It would be 100 times more better with you. You yourself said that if I wasn't going to school for me, then I'd go for you. I was supposed to have fun, enjoy myself, go to the parties and dances. But I don't want to do any of that unless you're by my side. Who says we both can't have a good senior year? You're the only person I've got to be really close with other than my family and the boys. So, what do you say? Y/n y/m/n y/l/n, will you be my date to homecoming?"

A big smile grows on my face, and tears almost build up. "Daniel, this is the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me." 

He smiles back, "I know it's probably nothing compared to what you were expecting back home, and I know Brooke and Hannah won't be there to help you get ready, and I'm not an expert when it comes to social outings, but-" He's rambling, and I'm here for it. I love it.

"Daniel, it's perfect. I love it. No one would've done something like this for me back home. I'd love to be your date to homecoming." My smile manages to grow even bigger, and his smile does too. A roar of cheers come from the inside of the truck, we both laugh, looking at the boys. Zach slides open the back window, bringing his head out.

"Thank God you said yes. Daniel's been planning this all week and texted us to be here at sunrise." He says, we all laugh. 

Daniel, cheeks rosy, says, "Zach, she didn't need to know that." I can't believe he spent all week planning this, just shows how sweet he really is. Zach continues to share his side of the story.

"And if that wasn't enough, my mom's van wasn't enough for him, so we had to get Jack's grandpa to lend us his truck. Plus, Jack didn't even do anything! He's still asleep!" Zach explains, with little hand motions and all.

"What?" Jack says, lifting his head from the seat. 

We're all dying of laughter, they all get out of the car and congratulate Daniel. Corbyn pitches his idea for our outfits, he suggests we coordinate in a facetious, yet capricious kind of way. I didn't understand any of it, but it was entertaining to watch him try.

Suddenly, reality hits me. "Don't you have to go to school? First period starts in like, 5 minutes." 

Daniel's head quickly turns to me, eyes wide, "Crap, I do."

"I'll drive!" Jonah says.

"I'm coming too!" Corbyn says.

"Okay, thanks guys. I'll see you later?" Daniel asks, before heading inside the car.

"Yep. 1:00." I say. A smile grows on both our smiles again. He throws his bag inside the car and runs over to me, he takes my arm and gives me a light kiss on the cheek. My face is burning.

"1:00?" his smile is wide and heartwarming.

"1:00." 

He rushes back into the truck, and Jonah speeds off to the school. Still lost in the moment, I realize that I'm not alone. Jack and Zach are right behind, holding their phones up.

"What are you still doing here?" They quickly put their phones down.

"The trucks a 4 seater. We're a duo. Both of us go, or none of us go." Zach says, throwing his arm around Jack's shoulders, who is half awake.

"Plus, Daniel told us Christian made pancakes." Jack says. I laugh at their honesty and let them in the house. 

As we're eating, I watch them stuff each bite down. "Don't you guys go to school?"

Zach stops for a moment, "I'm home-schooled."

Jack, with a full mouth says, "I just don't go. But don't worry, I still got brains." I laugh to myself again, and go back to my food. 30 minutes later, Zach's mom picks them up and I'm home alone yet again.