I Ain't That Far

DANIEL POV

< < < flashback to 1 month before Winter Break < < <

It's Saturday now, Lovey's been bugging me about are 'lunch date'. I still don't know why I agreed to go with her. We could've gotten to know each other during school hours, like at lunch or something. Maybe I was scared to say 'no' or I didn't want to hurt her feelings. Either reason doesn't matter anymore 'cause I'm getting ready to meet her at In N Out in half an hour.

I don't try to look super nice. I don't want to give her the wrong impression. I'm still not sure if this is considered cheating. I asked Christian his thoughts on it, since he's considered 'the ladies man' in his friend group. I wish I had his confidence sometimes. He's so easy to talk to, I see why his girl friends all love hanging out with him. I wouldn't be surprised if they all liked him more than a friend at some point in their life. The real question is; which of them does he like more than a friend?

~

I get to In N Out and and see Lovey wave me over to a table near a window. She already has ordered food for us; a burger for her and a burger for me. Not exactly what I was craving, but it's the thought that counts.

"Daniel! Hi! Please, sit." She motions over to the seat in front of me. "I didn't know what you liked. Or if you had any allergies, or if you were vegan. You're not vegan, are you?" Her mouth moves a mile a minute.

"Lovey, it's fine. Burgers are cool with me." I look at the giant burger in front of me. I don't even know how to start. It's so big I don't even think I can fit a bite in my mouth. Fortunately, she ignores my hesitation and starts conversation.

"So, Daniel Seavey. What's your deal? Other than being a music prodigy with a new girlfriend, who are you?"

"Well, I have an older brother,"

"Right! Christian! He seems darling." I look up to her as she casual talks. How does she know Christian? He never even went to our school.

"Yeah, he's cool. And I have another brother Ty-"

"Tyler! Ugh, he seems so cool too. And Anna! She seems awesome, I'm jealous." I put my burger down, perplexed. She continues on. "Corbyn and Jonah are easy on the eyes. Zach and Jack are cute too. You guys seem pretty tight. Respect."

"Um, Lovey. What's the point of getting to know each other if you already know everything about me? I don't know how you know so much about me but-"

"I always do my research before a presentation. Always"

"Right, um. Look Lovey, this was cool and all, but I don't see the point of this if we already seem to know each other." I get my jacket and get ready to leave. She stops me.

"Yes, but we don't trust each other. If you think about it, we're just two strangers passing by the halls." I just look at her, not knowing what to say. "Take a walk with me." I stay put as she walks away, she turns around before exiting. "Are you coming or what?"

I roll my eyes as I follow her lead. We walk to the park a couple blocks away. We sit at a park bench overlooking the playground. She holds out the script in her hand, hitting my knee with it, getting my attention.