Patience is a Virtue

daniel's pov

>>> 1 week later...

Saturday morning.

Prom.

It's 6 in the morning right now and I'm in the car on the way to the airport. Christian and Tyler offered to drive me, but probably for their benefit. Tyler's not much of a morning person so he sucks at driving when it's super early, so him and Christian might switch after they drop me off.

We eventually pull up to LAX. 6:30. My flight is at 7, so I think I'm on time. I get my suitcase and put my backpack on as I get out of the car. I walk over to Christian's window which is rolled down and say my goodbyes. 

"Alright Danel, have fun. Make sure to sweep her off her feet." Christian says as he stops by the drop off zone. "I will. Thanks for driving me." I tell him, doing our handshake before leaving.

"Bye Bam Bam!" I call out to the half asleep Tyler in the passenger seat next to Christian. I wave goodbye to them as I walk inside the airport, seeing them drive away. 

I enter the airport, dropping off my luggage and passing through security. It was only 7 in the morning, but the airport was packed. From businessmen to families with young children, there were people everywhere. Looks like I won't be able to get the rest while I wait for my plane. I take my seat along with the other waiting passengers, putting in my headphones as I turn on my playlist.

"Mommy can I get that one?" I look over to one of the gift shops and see a little girl, tugging at the bottom her mom's coat. She's pointing over to one of the teddy bears displayed on the shelf. The bear's wearing a shirt saying 'I Love LA'. Her mom's on the phone, trying to multitask but failing miserably. "But Mommyyy!!!!" the little girl screams, sobbing uncontrollably. At this point, everyone within 50 feet can hear her. 

I keep watching, along with the other spectators around me. No one's done anything. Not that there is much we can do. The mom looks stressed now, probably on an important phone call or something. The young girl continues to cry...and cry and cry. She can't be any more than 3, but if she keeps screaming, she'll sound like she's been smoking for 30 years by the time she turns 5. 

I get up from my seat, putting on my backpack which is my only carry on item for this trip. Maybe I will take a trip to the gift shop while waiting...who knows, maybe I could find a little present for a certain someone. 

I enter the small shop and walk in to see the little girl and her mom, same spot as they were before. The girl, still tugging at the bottom of her mom's coat, pointing at the same teddy bear. Her light brown hair tied into pig tails, her blue eyes now red along with her face that's stained with tears. 

"Mommyy!!! Pleaseee!! I want it!" she continues to scream. Bystanders look annoyed at this point, some prepared to approach the mom, probably about to tell her how to raise her child. 

I walk over to little girl and her mom, reaching for the teddy bear with the 'I Love LA' shirt. I bring it over to the cashier to pay for it. I walk back to the little girl and bend down to get eye level with her. 

"Here you go," I say, handing over the bear to her. "I thought maybe they could have a new friend so they won't be lonely on the plane." Suddenly, her crying stops, and her tears begin to dry. Her mother finally gets off her call, putting her phone away in her pocket.

"Oh my Lord, you are a saint. Thank you." she says, meaning every word. She picks up her now happy daughter. "Annie sweetie what do you say?" she looks at her daughter who's at her side.

"Thank you." Annie says shyly, holding on to the bear tightly. "Aw well it's no problem, I'm happy to help." I tell the both of them as I get ready to leave the shop, but the mom stops me before I can go.

"Wait! I didn't get your name." she says. I turn back to her, holding on to my backpack straps.

"Daniel." I say, going over to shake her hand. 

"I'm Sasha, this is my daughter, Annie." the mom says. Annie waves at me, saying a small hello. "Thank you really, I was on an important call with my sister and I just didn't know what to do. How can I repay you?"

"Oh really, there's no need." I tell her, but she refuses to give in.

"No I insist, there must be something I can do to repay you." I take a minute to think of something, but nothing comes to mind. I then look around the gift shop to see if there's anything interesting.

"Actually there is something I could use some help with, and I could use both of your help." I look at Annie and Sasha, who are looking at each other.

"Of course, anything." Sasha says, ready to help. 

"Well I was wondering if you could help me find a gift for my girlfriend, I'm flying over to her for her prom and I was thinking I could give her a little present." Just then, as if a switched turned on, Annie's eyes light up as she taps her mom's arm to put her down. Sasha let's her run free as she goes around the store looking for a gift. A few minutes later, she comes back running to us with a stuffed animal - a turtle. I laugh as she hands it to me, already knowing how Y/n's going to react to this. "It's perfect! Thank you." I tell her as she goes back into Sasha's arms.

"Thank you." she says one last time as they leave the gift shop. I pay for the turtle, walking back to the waiting area for my flight.

I take my seat, listening to my music again. After a while, I go on my phone and check the time. 7:30 am. Hmm, that's strange. I was supposed to board at 7, but I guess not anymore. Just then I see Sasha and Annie come over my way.

"Sorry to bother you, she saw you again and said she wanted to tell you something." Sasha says as she's following Annie, who's running towards me. 

"Oh it's fine." I tell her reassuringly. I might as well save some of my battery for the plane. Just then, Annie climbs up onto the seat next to me, the teddy bear on her lap. 

"His name's Dayel." she says adorably. I'm guessing it's supposed to be 'Daniel', but her version sounds better. "Wow! That's a cool name." I tell her, causing her to laugh. Sasha takes the seat across from me, putting down all their carry on bags. Turns out their also going to the East Coast, specifically New York, where is where I happen to be landing. I play with Annie with her stuffed animals as I talk to Sasha. I told her about Y/n, who she says sounds amazing, she isn't wrong. At least I've made some new friends while waiting for my flight - looks like this won't be too boring.

7:45. The plane still hasn't arrived. Y/n knows I'm coming, I just hope I don't arrive late. I told her I won't be able to come to the day date, but I'll be just in time for pictures before dinner. Although at this rate, I don't think I'll be going anywhere anytime soon. Then, out of nowhere, the loudspeakers go on and the lady at the front desk begins to talk.

"Attention all passengers boarding flight I-90, there has been an engine problem with the plane. We're expecting a 30 minute delay, sorry, and thank you for your patience."

Great. That's just great. Fabulous even. A 30 minute delay can't be too bad right? Although...I think we all know that 30 minutes can turn into hours real quick...