On My Way

DANIEL POV

Homecoming weekend was over, and it was time to go back to school. School has been good for me so far, but I can't stand to leave y/n. It sucks how she can't come to school with me, but I understand that she wants to keep in touch with her friends and teachers back home.

I make my way to 8th period for Music Theory. As I walk into the classroom, the first thing I see is a big, colorful poster reading:

AUDITIONS FOR LA SPRINGS HIGH'S ORIGINAL PRODUCTION "ON MY WAY"

START SEPTEMBER 20th THROUGH SEPTEMBER 23rd

1:30 PM - 4:00 PM IN THE AUDITORIUM

SIGN UP DURING LUNCH OR FREE PERIOD OUTSIDE THE CHORUS ROOM

SEE MS. ADAMS FOR MORE INFO & QUESTIONS

Ms. Adams, my Music Theory teacher, waves me over to her desk. I hold onto my backpack straps as I nervously walk over to her desk. The rest of my classmates are grouped together in one corner of the room.

"Daniel, how are you?" she asks. She stops typing on her laptop, waiting for my answer.

"I'm doing alright Ms. Adams." I begin to fidget with the straps of my backpack.

"Good, I'm glad to hear that. I won't be taking much of your time, you can go back with your friends there when we're done here." I turn around to look at my classmates grouped together in a tight circle.

"Take your time Ms. Adams, they're not exactly my friends." Ms. Adams looks over to the group, seeing my perspective.

"Daniel, I know you haven't been here in a while. I know it must be hard making friends, especially in a class like this where we're a tight bunch."

"Yeah, they've all known each other since freshman year. I just came here. They already got a tight bond."

"And I know you're not exactly comfortable trying to make small talk. But they're a good group, just give it a try." I think about her suggestion for a minute, maybe she's not crazy.

"Fine, but I can't promise you anything." I proceed to slowly walk away, but she stops me.

"That's all I need to hear, but that's not what I called you here for." I turn back around, walking back to her desk. "If you're having a hard time making friends here, I suggest auditioning for the musical. It's nothing crazy, I promise. With our budget being cut, we were forced to write our own musical. So, I hope it's not too much to ask you to come to auditions. You don't have to audition, just watch, see how you like it. If you're interested, let me know. Hope to see you there." she then waves me off to go to my seat as she gets ready to start the class.

The rest of the class sits at a desk as she explains the details of the musical. Everyone has an excited look on their face, except me. Speaking in front of the class might as well be my worst nightmare, let alone performing in front of hundreds of people that I don't even know.

"Okay now that you know the basic details, let's get to the good stuff. As you all know, the production this year is an original musical written by yours truly, Juliette Adams." Excited applause is filled as Ms. Adams gives a curtsy. A hand is raised by a blonde girl in the front.