Back To You

y/n's pov

"Come inside."

Those two words made me run faster than I have ever ran before. When I tell you I ran, I ran. I leave all my stuff in the car, leaving my door wide open. Once I opened the front door, I see my parents talking in the kitchen, acting normal. I know that's not the case. They've tried this act before, I'm not buying it again.

"Where is he?" I say, catching my breath. My mom looks up from her laptop, looking at my dad.

"Where is who?" My face burns, this can't be a prank.

"Daniel! He just said he, he just called me like 2 seconds ago!" I look around the house, not seeing any trace of him anywhere.

"I'm sorry hon, but-" my dad starts, but I interrupt him.

"No no no no no no, he said he was inside, h-he said he was here." my voice breaks as I sit down on the bar stool next to my dad. My mom puts her hand on my shoulder as I put my head down.

"I'm sorry sweetie, I don't know what to tell you." my mom tells me. I don't know what to say myself.

"Am I just going crazy? Do I miss him that much that I'm hallucinating or something? Am I that crazy?"

"I don't think you're crazy." a voice says behind me. I pick my head up and turn around to see Daniel holding a sign in one hand and white roses in another. I take a minute to read the sign:

I've never been to a Winter Formal, but anywhere I go I'm taking you.

I look up to see his smiling face. I get so lost in his smile, I forget to move. He begins to ramble.

"I don't know if this was really funny or clever. I couldn't really think of anything clever, I'm sure there's something funnier out there. I don't really know much about this proposal stuff or promposal? I don't it's not prom so it's not really relevant I guess but-"

I run over to him, wrapping my arms around his neck. He drops the sign, puts his arms around my waist, picking me up and spinning me around. God, I've waited for this moment too long.

"As I was saying, I hope you like it. I-" I press my lips against his to stop his adorable rambling. He kisses back.

"I love it."

I love you.

A big smile grows on each our faces. My cheeks start burning, realizing my parents are still in the room. Luckily, they don't mind. My mom already taking a million pictures in the moment. They both laugh, seeming genuinely happy with it. I take Daniel's hand, walking him over to my parents.

"Mom, Dad, this is Daniel. My boyfriend." A wide smile appears on my mom's face.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Daniel." He goes over to shake her hand, but my mom takes him into her embrace. I can't help but smile with satisfaction.

"Dad?" I look over to my dad, who is emotionless. He looks back and forth between me and Daniel, observing Daniel more. He holds his hand out for Daniel to shake, Daniel shakes his hand.

"Welcome to the family, son." he tells him, patting his back. Daniel's eyes go wide as my smile gets wider. I take his hand and the roses and lead him upstairs. I turn around and mouth a 'thank you' to them before leaving.

~

We get to my room and I find a place for the roses. I put them in an empty vase on my desk. Daniel takes a look at all corners of my room, doing a full 360. I let out a light laugh as I hop onto my bed, watching him look around.

"It's just a normal room, you know that right? It's not too different than the one in LA." He sits down next to me, one leg bent, the other casually hanging off the edge. He reaches over to a baby picture of me on my nightstand.

"Yeah, I guess. But your room in LA definitely doesn't have this." He laughs at the picture of me covered in chocolate pudding, I take the frame from me, laughing along with him.

"I think that's a good thing." I slide the frame under my bed, hoping no one else will see it. I put my head in the crook of his neck, almost forgetting how comfortable this position was. "So, what do you wanna do today?" He smirks as he puts his hand on my knee.

"I don't know, this is your town isn't it?" I teasingly roll my eyes at him.

"Yeah, but we don't have any boardwalks or cool roller rinks." He takes my hand, pulling me out of bed.

"Oh come on, there's gotta be something here you love - someplace you enjoy going to." I stand up, grabbing a sweatshirt out of my closest. I slide my favorite Vans on, grab my car keys, and take his hand in mine.

"I know a place." A small smile forms on his face as we rush downstairs and out the door.

I unlock the car as soon as we walk out of the door. Before I get in the driver's seat, Daniel stops me, taking the keys from my hand.

"I'm driving." He nods to the car, "Get in." he smirks. I go into the passenger seat, watching him start the car. "So, where are we going?" He pulls out his phone, searching for directions. I take his phone, putting it in one of the cup holders in the center console.

"Just listen."

"Yes ma'am." He backs up out of the driveway, and we're off.