I'll Be Home For Christmas

y/n's pov

"You missed me?" the figure asks. I can't see who it is. I try looking closely at it, almost squinting, but nothing. The figure walks up closer to us.

Ethan.

~

We're all seated in the living room. Daniel and I on the love seat, my parents on the sofa, Ethan on the armchair. My knee bounces anxiously, what is he doing here? It's nearly midnight. Why would he come now? When my parents saw him at the door, my mom nearly ran down the stairs with excitement. It was like her prodigal son came home. My dad, standing at the top of the staircase, speechless. I couldn't get up from my seat. I didn't believe what I was seeing.

A million thoughts raced through my mind. That day I found out I was going to LA. That day when I found out about the steroids. The same day when I found out he could have kidney failure if he didn't stop. The time when I found out Ethan's pain, his demons. The day when I wrote the essay, showing the world my heart. The morning I saw Daniel with a bruise on his face. The night when Ethan almost punched Daniel - again. The day we had to leave LA for him.

Everything.

I can't even look at him without feeling like crying, without feeling like crap for not saving him sooner. I have all this guilt when I see him. He probably never wanted to go to the rehab in the first place. I bet he wasn't too thrilled with the fact that his little sister telling him to find help, when he was the one who did all the helping. What if he got kicked out of rehab, and that's why he's home? Can you even get kicked out of rehab? What if he hates me?

I feel Daniel squeeze my hand in the midst of my thoughts. I almost forgot he was here, next to me, not a thousand miles away. He's here, when I need him the most.

I'm too absorbed in my thoughts to hear what's going on around me. Everyone's voices sort of just faded out and I'm back to the night where I almost took a punch for Daniel. I hear muted cries from my mom, I can't tell if they're from joy or sadness. Although my sight is blurry, I see the blank expression on my dad's face. Everything is inaudible to me. I see Ethan let out a sigh of relief, following by a wide smile. What did I miss? All of a sudden, everything comes back and I'm back in the present.

"You're what?" my dad asks. However, his face is now full of shock.

"My baby boy's coming home!" my mom screams, rushing over to my brother with joy. She hugs him as he lets her in his arms. I switch looks from Ethan, to Daniel, to my parents.

"Wait, how?" I ask. I don't know if I should be happy or worried.

"They told me I was ready. Ready for the real world." I can't believe what he's saying.

"Really? 3 months of rehab for 1 year and a half of addiction and they let you out?" I spit back. I don't know what has gotten into me. I should be happy, right?

"Y/n, please. At least show a little enthusiasm." my mom says, holding my brother's hand. I still have yet to look at him in the eye.

"I'm sorry. I am happy, but I'm still worried about you." I say, keeping my gaze at the floor.

"Well, you don't have to look out for me anymore sis." He says, walking over to me, sitting next to me. I finally look at him, seeing the old Ethan. His expression back to it's kind and caring self. I throw myself into his arms, crying into his jacket.

"I missed you, E." I say into his jacket. He smooths my hair down while I'm in his arms like he used to do when I'd scrape my knee when I was younger, protecting me.

"I missed you too." He lets go and stands back up, going to the front of the room. "However, I have more big news."

"Well, what is it?" my mom asks, eagerly.