Youth Pt. 1

daniel's pov

"But I love you..." she said with glossy eyes, I looked at her with a heavy heart.

"No you don't...you can't." I say, avoiding eye contact.

"But I do!" she interrupts, she walks away from me slowly, looking down to the ground. "I know I'm not supposed to...but I do."

~~~~

3 hours earlier...

"And action!"

1 hour until our first show.

It's our final run through before opening night. Ms. Adams has been rerunning scenes with the underclassmen for hours now, making sure everything goes perfectly. I stay seated at the back of the auditorium, rehearsing some lines with Lovey. We take a break, putting our scripts down, and agree to take a walk. We get to the courtyard, walking around, taking in the fresh air.

"So, you nervous?" she asks, walking by my side. I get lost in my thoughts, not hearing her the first time. "Daniel?"

"What? Oh, sorry...I don't know, I am, but I'm not." she laughs lightly, I look at her confused. "I don't get it."

"No, it's not you, just that's good. I've never seen someone so confident."

"Are you being sarcastic or something?" she nudges my shoulder, playfully punching me.

"No. I'm happy for you, excited even. I think you're gonna do great."

"You think so?" she answers with a warm smile.

"Yeah, I do. I think you'll knock it out of the park." I laugh, shaking my head as we walk back inside.

"Whatever you say."

We walk back into the auditorium to fine Ms. Adams rehearsing last minute choreography to the ensemble group. It's crazy to think how this is all coming together. I watch Jo practice the last of his lines stage left, nervously pacing back and forth. As Lovey takes her seat back to our scripts, I jog over to the stage to see how he's doing. The stage is filled with different backdrops and scenery, loads of props. The ensemble group go over the choreography for one last time at center stage. I walk up the stairs going to stage left to meet him by the curtains leading to backstage.

"Hey Jo, how are you." I ask, patting his shoulder. He jumps at my presence, his nervous pacing stops.

"Hey Daniel, I could be better." He puts his script down, sitting down on a nearby stool. I lean against the wall next to him.

"Nervous?" he nervously chuckles, shaking his head.

"Nervous would be the understatement." he looks out into the auditorium full of hundreds of empty seats. "I didn't realize how many people would be watching until now."

"Look man, you got the lead role for a reason..."

"Understudy of lead, but go on." he interrupts, I chuckle as I continue.

"You got talent man, now use it. No time like the present right? You have the opportunity to share your talents, go ahead and use it." I walk back down the stairs to the ground level, where the grand piano is still placed. Ms. Adams wanted it out before opening night, but they haven't moved it yet. I sit down at the bench, beginning to play Youth by Troye Sivan. He nods his head to the music, already knowing the song. I look at him as he is still seated on his stool stage left. The ensemble group dances along to the music as I continue to play. Lovey comes up from her seat, walking down the aisle towards the rest of us. Jo begins to sing the lyrics, walking in between the bustling crowd. Stage crew, moving props. The ensemble group, dancing along to the music with Ms. Adam's choreography. Lovey joins me at the piano, playing a higher harmony. The auditorium is filled with music, it's amazing. Ms. Adams eventually tells us to pause the music and tells us to get ready for the show.

30 minutes until our first show...

I get my costume fixed up for the last time before walking out on stage. After getting the last of my makeup done, I peek out from the curtains to see the seats quickly filling up. I scan the crowd for any familiar faces, but no luck. I meet the rest of the cast backstage for a cast circle. I stand in between Lovey and Jo, hand in hand with each of them. Ms. Adams proceeds to speak.

"I am so proud of each and every one of you. This may be LA Spring's first original production, but you are the reason it is original. You all have added such personality and emotion to this play, and I don't know how to thank you all. I'm so excited for what tonight will bring for us, I cannot wait to see all the hard work you have all put in this year." she looks at me and Lovey with a smile, she pauses for a moment, confused looks all around. "And of course, before I forget, we can't forget about our MVP. This year's MVP has shown us how to really push through and strive to get what you want. So without further ado, this year's MVP is," she looks at me with proud eyes, "Daniel." uplifting applause scatters around the circle, happy faces all around. I'm not really sure what to do or say, but it's definitely a good feeling. We finish up the cast circle, then go to our places for the opening scene. Luckily, I don't go on stage until scene 3, so I happily watch the show from the wings.

The first scene ends with cheers from the audience. Lovey and the ensemble exit the stage, coming backstage from both wings. She rushes over to me as I welcome her with open arms.

"You did great!" I tell her, pulling away from our embrace. A big smile is painted on her face.

"Ah it was amazing!"

"You looked right at home!" we laugh as she goes back to her dressing room to fix up her makeup. I congratulate the rest of the cast who opened up the show. Just then, I hear a familiar voice come from behind me.

"Hey there stranger."