Chapter 2 - Pancakes And Groaning

The soft smell of bacon and pancakes wafted through the air and brought Haruka to the grand dining room. On the table sat Shin, Keiko and the person who adopted her–or rather let her stay in their manor– Mrs. Ashlyn Azren.

"Good morning, Haruka dear." her head lifted from the newspaper as she gazed upon the brunette with calm ocean blue eyes.

With a nod, she took her seat and brutally stabbed one of the pancakes with a knife. She was hungry and no one judges her for her actions in the Azren household.

"Did you have a good night's worth of sleep?" she asked taking a sip out of a porcelain cup filled with her favorite, tea.

"Sleep?" she mumbles as her dream unfolded through her mind again. Ugh, I really need to stop thinking about that. She thought  "It's.... Fine?"

Setting the cup on the table, "Okay then that's wonderful to hear!" she clapped and unfolded the news. "Since both you and Keiko here are of age to be high schoolers now, I have decided upon myself to enroll you in Alceria Academy!"

Keiko spat his milk out.

Haruka choked on her pancake.

"That means you're going to school with me, later!" Shin happily waves his hand like a little child. Boy was he happy.

"R-really?!!" Keiko's eyes sparkled. Of course he was excited about this. He is a knowledge nutcase after all. A sassy one at best.

Ever since 3rd grade the younger duo had always been homeschooled while Shinzuki was allowed to take classes. Even if that was beyond the young lad's will. He had to enter classes with others to be able to know socializing for he was the next in line CEO of his mother's company.

As stupid as it sounds he knew that it was for the best since Shin needed it. But he wanted to be able to go to an academy too. To gain more knowledge. To make many new friends. It has always been a dream of his sister to become a science teacher and him to graduate with a master's degree then become a powerful wizard.

Sister...

"WOAH! WOAH! WOAH!" the moment was ruined with Haruka's booming voice. "Isn't Alceria some sort of academia where they only accept the best of the best? The cream of the crop?"

All three nodded.

"Then how, someone without even knowing her own race, able to go in such a prestige academy?!"

Mrs. Azren only snickered and rubbed her index finger and thumb. It could've only meant one thing.

Money....

I knew it. Haruka's face distorted into a disappointed frown. Welp, I guess money really does make the world go around these days..

She wanted to protest. She really wanted to.

"How am I even going to last a week there when I myself don't even know what the hell I am?" Haruka asked.

"Language." Shin muttered quietly.

"Well," the porcelain cup was twirled and so did it's contents. "I've assigned special classes for you. Maybe these can help you find out more about yourself."

She felt defeated. As if she didn't deserve this. If it were anyone else, of course they wouldn't pass on a chance to go to the most prestigious academies of Eternal Kingdom. But she wasn't like anyone else.

She wanted to be alone. She was sick of being a laughing stock. She was sick of being herself. She wanted to find more about herself but at the state she was right now, almost all of her attempts failed. She gave up. She didn't wanted to be a burden to everyone around her. She was contented with her life in the mansion. Where she doesn't have to go out and try to please other people. Here, she can be herself as much as she wants and no one will ever judge her.

"Isn't that great, Haruka?" Keiko asked. She could almost see the invisible dog tail wagging behind him. He was really excited about this wasn't he?

She shrugged and continued eating. Great. Now I don't feel like eating anymore. Looking over at Keiko, a wide smile was on his face. He was so eager to go that it hurted her.

After all it was her fault why they were homeschooled for too long. She knew of his dreams to become a world renowned wizard with a master's degree to be the cherry on top.

"But what about our things?" she asked one last time, defeated.

"Oh, the maids are preparing them right..... now." she points at the grand foyer where maids stand carrying heavy suit cases.

"My games!" Shin yelled as he ran after one of them. Guess he didn't know of that one, huh?

"The thing is, everything is going to be fine! You're all finally going to school and maybe this can also be of benefit to each and everyone of you." Mrs. Azren smiles as she stands up.

CEOs are always busy. They were lucky that his mother managed to spare some time for them to have a proper meal together. She had a meeting by 9 o'clock and she knew better than being late.

Breakfast was over and Haruka's emotions are over the notch now. Everything changed in a snap and she was suddenly stuck in a situation she wished never had fallen within her.

On the plus side, Keiko is finally happy and you get to be with Shin more often.

You know what, touché.

But she knew everything was going to be fine. Or she hoped. As long as they were together, she was sure she was going to be fine.

~

"Shinnie?" a brunette peeked into the older boy's room. It was dark with a bunch of neon lights that set a "gamer" sort of aesthetic. The shelves on his bed were filled with funko pops of his favorite video game characters with a few picture frames of their younghood. A pc set was neatly placed left to his bed.

"Hmm?" he turned around and saw the her from outside. "Ah. Haru, why don't you come in for a while?"

She stood beside him observing him pack the remains of his stuff.

"You sure did pack a lot." she commented whilst he replied with a chuckle.

"Well yeah. Don't know what I'd do without my precious babies." his pitch went higher on the last words.

Haha.. It'd be better if I was your baby...

The scarlet eyed boy saw the look on her face. A hint of pink ran across her feminine features clashing with her freckles in the most beautiful way possible.

"H-hey.." she started and tugged on the hem of her scarf. "Am I going to be okay?"

He sighed. Things haven't been that easy for her. He knew how sensitive she was and that she was decided to block herself from the outside world.

A nod. She smiles.

And that's where it all started. With that damned smile.

Both of them hugged. He vowed to himself to protect her this time. Make sure that she doesn't fall onto the same fate as she did before in their elementary years. It took him a lot of guts to convince his mother to let her go to school with him. Now, he can finally be closer to her.

"You will be. I'll make sure of that."

================================

Awwww that's cute.

Yay. I'm getting more motivation to write. Probably because I'm sad. More sad = much more nice writing because goddamn you don't wanna see the cringy shit I make when I'm happy.

Hopefully I don't run out of motivation. Pls don't run out of motivation.