14. Wild Encounter

Both of them sat down on either side of the tray table. Minhyuk wanted to sit right next to her but stopped himself. He wasn't sure if he would be able to concentrate on what she was saying if he had her so close to him.

Man, this woman has cast some sort of spell on me

He didn't realise he was shaking his head from side to side and muttering to himself until Alexis pointed it out.

"Are you alright? Is there an insect buzzing in your ears?", she asked a bit worried.

"No, no, are you cold?", he grabbed a spare blanket and placed it next to her, leaning over the tray table. The glasses almost toppled but Alexis caught them in time.

"Here", she gave Min one glass.

Clink

They took a sip and smiled at each other.

"So..."

"So..."

And they both giggled.

"Why are we being so awkward?", asked Min.

"Mulla", said Alexis

"Ooo Korean", he teased her.

"So is this a job interview?"

"Yes, being my boyfriend needs a level of screening"

"Ok Alexis", he played along.

"Well, I was born and brought up in Seoul. I completed my studies there too. Worked for a bit and then got transferred here", he said unenthusiastically.

Alexis caught on to his sudden subdued mood and tried to shift the topic to his family. She made a mental note to ask about his sudden mood change later.

"What about your family?"

"My mum, dad and sister live in Seoul. My sister Aro is still in college, I'm sure she would love you", he seemed happier talking about his family. He reached out for Alexis's hand and she immediately placed her palm in his. He played with her fingers and continued talking.

"My mom would be happy with you too. I just know it."

"What about your Dad?", he suddenly went quiet and looked away.

"It's ok Minhyuk, you don't have to tell me, I understand."

He immediately locked eyes with Alexis and said, "But I want you to know. It's just that there is too much of emotional baggage to wade through to get it all out", and he continued to play with her palm, giving each finger a kiss now and then.

Allie couldn't help herself, she had to go and comfort him. So she shifted to his side and placed her arm around his shoulders. "It's ok, may be another time. So what do you want to know about me?"

"I already know you're my person", he looked at her sideways, leaning in to give her a kiss. But she turned away and he had to settle for a peck on the cheek.

"So tell me about yourself"

"I'm Alexis, born and brought up in India. I lived with my parents and sister. Studied and worked there too. This is my first job abroad."

"You have a sister too, that's cute, what is her name?"

"Kiersten, she is in college too."

"May be our sisters would get along", he said.

"I miss her", she placed her head on his shoulder.

"You think we'll ever get to meet our families again?", she asked.