Chapter 41

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. My brown hair fell over my shoulders in soft curls, my blue eyes highlighted with an appropriate amount of makeup, and my lips dabbed with red lipstick. My dress was on, jewelry dangling off my wrists, ears, and fingers and my shoes waiting by the door for me to head out. I felt pretty. Something I didn’t feel often having James as a sibling. He was the babe of the world and I was the awkward child standing off in the corner. The spa day with Gemma was spectacular. She booked the best people in the best salon and I had never felt more primped and ready than I did for this night. Twirling, I caught every angle of my look and I could not have been more pleased.

“Hey Cam, can I come in?” James asked from the other side of my door.

“Yeah, what’s up?” James entered and then stopped.

“Dang, Camille.”

I eyed him. “What?”

“You’re gorgeous.” He said it with such certainty and the beauty of it was that he didn’t say that I looked gorgeous, as in just at that moment. No, he said that I was gorgeous. As in always. And that made me smile like a little fool.

“You don’t look bad yourself,” I said, nodding towards his fitted suit. “By the way, where’s Ava?” I realized I hadn’t asked him where his girlfriend is.

“She’s been in Ireland. She gets back tonight and she’s going to meet us at the party.”

“Okay. I was wondering why you were taking me and not her.”

“So I’m not allowed to take both of you?”

“Ehh, most couples don’t want the little sister third wheeling.”

“Very true. You ready to go? The car’s waiting.”

“Yeah, let’s go.” Placing my clutch under my arm and grabbing my coat and shoes, I followed James out of my room and down the stairs where Mom and Dad sat, cuddled on the couch, ready for their date night.

“You two look wonderful! Oh, Phil get a picture of them!” Mom said.

“Mom. We’re going to a party with tons of photographers. You know this right?” James said, trying to usher me out the door.

“Come on kids, get together for a picture. Just for us,” Dad said, searching for the camera.

“Oh, I wish we had a fireplace.”

“We are not getting a typical prom picture!” I said, already knowing how being my brother’s date was bad enough. I loved James, I did. It’s just that most girls hope to go on a date with someone they are not related to.

“Fine. Just stand together then.” Mom grabbed her camera as I posed beside James, until he grabbed me and pulled me against his chest.

“James. You’re messing my hair.”

“It’ll live. Love me, Cam!” I laughed into his chest as I wrapped my arms around him.

“See! That’s so cute! Okay, you can go now,” Mom said, seeming satisfied with her candid shots. James and I waved good bye and headed out the door.

The drive to the venue was relatively quiet. Mostly music pouring out of the radio and an occasional few words between the two of us. Maybe it was just because the nervousness of running into Liam was settling in. Perhaps it was the fact that there was a possibility that he wasn’t even going to be there and I was getting worked up over nothing. But I didn’t like uncertainty. I had avoided asking James for the longest time because he thought that was all doneand over with. He had listened to my freak outs and then slowly they died along with my and Liam’s nonexistent relationship. But I couldn’t take this anymore.