Chapter 43

"So, spill. What were you and Carlos talking about yesterday?" Evie asked Jane. Mal and Lonnie were there too.

"Okay...I'm pregnant."

"Oh my God, congrats!" the blue-haired girl squealed and hugged her friend.

"Welcome to the group." Lonnie joked.

"That just reminded me that we have four kids upstairs and they have been quiet for so long it's getting suspicious." Mal said.

"Well, I'm not complaining." Evie answered.

"Sorry guys, but I have to go. Today I'm going to make colorful cards with hands at the preschool." Jane told the others and took her bag. "See you later?"

"Yeah, sure."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, what is this emergency meeting about?" Mal asked.

"I really need your help." Carlos said.

"...with?" Jay tried to guess.

"I'm going to propose to Jane."

"Okay, that's my territory. Sit down and I'll plan everything." Evie stated and went to her studio. A few minutes later the girl returned. "So, I got this all done - we have a suit, the ring should arrive any minute."

"How did you manage to do it so fast?!" Jay was amazed.

"Oh please. That's Evie we're talking about. She can make a wedding dress out of a curtain." Mal responded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jane was almost done doing her hair for a date Carlos asked her on. Suddenly her phone rang. "Oh, hey mom!...No, I'm not there...Right now?...Can't it wait?...Fine I'll be there in five." the girl sighed as she found out she forgot to clean her classroom. She texted Carlos 'Change of plans. I have to do a thing at the school, but I'll meet you by the lake at seven.'

Things were fine until Jane accidentally spilled some red paint over her blue dress. Then she didn't have much choice other than to see if she had left some extra clothes in her desk after she looked at the time showing ten to seven. Luck wasn't really with her tonight, but she found some old leggings and an Auradon prep T-shirt. "I'm here!" she said when she got to the enchanted lake.

"...Unusual choice for an outfit." Carlos said wearing a black suit.

"Just don't ask. It's quite the story."

"Okay then. How about we dance a little?" A slow song started.

"You seriously don't care I look like a sixty years old coach who just woke up from her third nap?"

"What you're wearing doesn't matter. Not even a little. I love you and that's enough for me." She kissed him and took his hand. They danced for a while.

Meanwhile,

"Oh no. This is horrible."

"What is it E?" Mal asked from upstairs.

"I think it'll be better if you see it for yourself, M."

"I'm changing one of your daughter's dirty diapers, I'd rather use some help."

"Carlos has forgotten the ring."

"What? Now, I've gotta see that." the girl rushed downstairs still carrying Elliana with her. "Oh god, he really did forget it." the purple-haired girl said looking at the ring on the kitchen counter.

"What do we do now? Go and give it to him?"

"Yeah, and say what exactly? 'We're sorry but you kinda forgot the most important part of the whole proposal'?"

"Okay, your point. So, I guess we wait until he remembers, don't we?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Jane, I want to ask you a question. You are the love of my life and I want to spend the rest of it with you..." The girl was crying. Carlos was on one knee. He searched for the ring but couldn't find it. "Oh shoot, this isn't happening..."

"What isn't happening?"

He stood up. "I'm sorry. I messed this all up. I failed. You deserve someone better."

"What? No, I don't. You are perfect the way you are."

"Maybe we should've done this another time."

"Wait," she started searching through her purse. She found a plastic ring with flowers on it. Jane got on one knee. "Carlos Oscar DeVil, will you marry me?"

"Oh my gosh, yes." he squealed as a fangirl. "I...I meant yes." he tried to sound normal. They were both happily crying now.

"I love you." the girl said.

"I love you too."