19. True Self

-Cara-

"I just assumed that you were. You never gave me any reason to think otherwise." I said and he just laughed slightly and smiled at me.

"I've been keeping this secret for over a century. I'm a master at hiding it at this point." Colby said from above me.

I just stared at him, trying to figure out what exactly he was.

I can't tell just by his speed.

To many of us have incredible speed.

"What are you?" I asked and he just stared at me.

"Well what are you? No human would willingly live with a demon for as long as you did. And no human would be so calm about everything that's happened to you these past few weeks." Colby expressed.

"Well maybe I'm just a really cool human. Ever think of that?" I said back.

He cocked his head to the side slightly and just stared at my face. Probably trying to tell if I'm lying or not.

He smiled at me and then back away and sat at the foot of the bed.

"You know, if that's the case then this needs to stop." He said as he stood up and walked over to his desk and sat in the chair.

I sat up and just looked at him confused.

"Why? It's not like you're gonna hurt me Colby." I said and he just shook his head.

"Have you ever heard of a Ripper?" He asked me, and my jaw dropped open.

His facial expression unreadable.

He looks angry, but sad. He looks confused. He looks like he could just run out of this room at any moment and I'll never know what was on his mind.

"You're a vampire. Aren't you Colby?" I asked him, inching a little closer.

"The worst kind of vampire. I'm a Ripper. I've been avoiding getting close with anyone because I'm scared I'll snap one day. Here at the house, theres so many others to make sure I don't snap and go after out human friends. I know deep down, I would never. However, if Ripper me makes his return, I won't be able to control it. And what if I did something to hurt you and no one was here to stop me?" Colby ranted on and with ever word he looked even more sad.

"Colby, it's okay. I know what a Ripper is. I know what you're capable of." I said quietly.

I stood up and walked over to stand behind his chair and leaned my head down on his shoulder.

"But you won't have to worry about that with me." I whispered into his ear.

I grabbed his face and turned him towards me and locked our lips together again.

He didnt stop or pull away for a few moments, but then he ran away from me and sat back on his bed near the headboard, even further from me.

"Cara, please. I can't risk it." Colby said.

"If I ever did anything to hurt you, I would beg the others to put a steak through my heart. I wouldn't be able to live with myself." Colby whispered, a tear sliding down his right cheek.

"Colby. Listen to me, I'm not afraid of you. I know the battle you're having with yourself. I understand what it's like to not be able to stop." He looked up at me.

I ran over to the bed as fast as I could and landed on the bed infront of him and stared into his eyes.

"I was joking with you. I'm not human." I said and he looked at me as if he was waiting.

He leaned over to his bedside table and pulled out a small jar, and from the smell, its definitely blood from a rabbit or squirrel. Maybe both?

"So if I drink this right now, promise you wont freak out?" He asked me, his eyes darkening and fangs poking out of his mouth.

I smiled when he showed me his true self.

I took a deep breath, really taking in the smell of the blood infront of me.

Definitely squirrel, by the way, and stared at Colby as my fangs poked out and smiled at him.

"Only if you promise to share."