He Hoped He Was Right

School was becoming more agonizing for Evan, but not for the usual reasons. It was really hard trying to get through the day without talking to Connor. The more they hung out, the more Evan needed him.

The thought startled Evan, causing him to drop some combustible chemicals in chemistry. Jared jumped back from the table. When Evan, lost in his thoughts, didn't react right away, Jared grabbed him by the back of the shirt and yanked him away, seconds before their teacher came over and extinguished the fire.

"What the hell, dude? "Jared snapped.

Evan gulped, shaking his head, glancing at his teacher, then Jared, then around at the rest of the other students.

"S-s-sorry... It-it, um, it slipped."

~*~*~

"Would you stop laughing at me? It wasn't funny!!" But Evan himself couldn't help the laugh that escaped him.

"Sorry, it's just... I would have paid good money to see that. I mean, I'm glad no one was hurt, but..."

"Thanks, add to my humiliation," Evan replied, rolling his eyes to soften the blow of his words.

Connor chuckled. "Sorry, dude." He went to take another pull from the joint he was smoking, but Evan grabbed it from him and took a long drag, only coughing a little bit this time. "Hey, I thought you didn't want to smoke again after last time?"

"It was a shitty day," Evan replied with a shrug.

"You know, you don't stutter as much as you used to," Connor remarked.

"Oh... Yeah. I guess.. Um, I guess I've just... gotten... Um..." He didn't want to say comfortable, but that's exactly what it was. He felt comfortable and safe around Connor. Connor didn't make him feel stupid, or like he was weird for the things he liked, or the way he said things.

Connor just nodded, showing he understand, even without Evan saying anything.

"So, any girls in our class you like?" Evan suddenly blurted.

Connor frowned at him. "Why would you ask me that?"

Evan swallowed, his throat suddenly dry. "Oh-um.. I-I don't know. I just, um, I just.."

The stuttering was back. Connor could tell he was nervous as hell. But instead of assuring him it was cool, Connor waited for Evan to speak again.

Evan shrugged, staring at the ground, refusing to make eye contact with Connor.

"Well, I guess because – because I... I-I don't know.. I was... Just.. Curious?"

Connor stared at him for a long time, letting the silence stretch until he was sure Evan wasn't going to say anything more. He had noticed some things over the last few weeks, but he wasn't sure if he was reading Evan right or not. He hoped to hell he was...

"No, there aren't any girls I like right now. I think there's a guy I like, though..."

Evan looked up, startled. "You-"

Connor nodded. "I like guys. Girls, too, I guess. But mostly guys."

Evan didn't know what to say. For the first time in his life, he couldn't seem to look away. He usually avoided eye contact with everyone as much as possible, but in that moment, he couldn't break eye contact with the boy sitting across from him.

Connor didn't know what made him do it. He wasn't usually this bold, didn't allow himself to do anything that put him in a vulnerable position. Not since... Well, that was a long time ago now. And he needed to know if he was right or not...