Afterglow

Two weeks later, Evan sat beside Connor at his dining room table. Zoe was across from them, Larry on the left and Cynthia on the right. The table was covered with the most delicious-looking meal.

"So, Evan, how did you and my son, um, meet?"

It was obvious how hard Larry was trying. Cynthia was beaming, and Zoe seemed highly amused by how uncomfortable he was.

"Oh, well, at school. Just.. at school."

Larry nodded. "And you've known each other..."

"Since the beginning of the school year," Evan replied quickly. "Since, um, the first day, I guess. I mean, I'd seen him around before that, obviously, but that was the first time we, you know, that we talked."

Larry nodded, trying to smile. "Right, right. And you've been...." He cleared his throat. "You've been.... dating.... for how long?"

Connor couldn't believe how hard his father was trying. He didn't even mind his discomfort, since it kind of felt like payback for everything he'd put Connor through.

"Oh, um.." Evan glanced at Connor, then back at Mr. Murphy. "Since November, I guess, officially."

Connor nodded in agreement.

Larry nodded, smiling more than was necessary. "Good, that's good."

And so it went through the whole meal, including desert. After, Connor announced that he was going to walk Evan home, and Larry didn't even object, just reminded him to be home before 9pm since it was a school night.

They held hands as they walked.

"Well that wasn't fucking awkward at all," Connor said after awhile, chuckling to soften his words.

"But he's trying. You didn't think he would, and he is."

Connor nodded. "Yeah, he is. It's weird... my whole family surprised me. I never thought that would happen..."

Before leaving Evan at his door, Connor leaned in for a long kiss. It said everything he hadn't yet been able to. Evan wrapped his arms around Connor and kissed him back, pressing closer.

"Oh! Hey, I thought I heard a noise!"

They sprang apart, Evan blushing bright red. "Mom!"

Heidi smirked, waving cheekily at them. "Hi."

Connor's eyes widened. "H-hi, Mrs. Hansen. I-um, I was just... See you tomorrow, Ev!" And he bolted.

Heidi chuckled, and Evan glared at her, following her inside the house.

"Mom, seriously??"

She turned and shrugged. "I'm your mom, I'm supposed to embarrass you."

Evan rolled his eyes.

"So, do we need to have any kind of conversation about this?" Heidi asked as she settled back onto the couch.

"What?!?" Evan yelped, shuffling uncomfortably. "No, mom, no!"

"You sure? Cause...?" She shrugged. "Seems like we do."

Evan blushed so furiously, his whole body grew warm. He mumbled something about going to bed and bolted upstairs, the sounds of his mom chuckling following him.

~*~*~

Connor approached Evan at his locker the next day.

"Heyy.... so, uh, were we... did your mom...?"

Evan blushed, shaking his head furiously. "Don't remind me of anything to do with last night, please."

Connor smirked at his embarrassment.