Proper Date

"We should go on a proper date."

Connor looked up at Evan, frowning. "What do you mean? We've been on dates..."

"No, we've hung out at our houses and the orchard and the park, plus that one time at the diner. We should go, I dunno, to a movie or, um, out to eat or something."

"Oh... Okay," Connor said with a shrug. "Yeah, whatever you wanna do." He drummed his fingers on the cafeteria table. "You know, I never told you this, but... I... uh.... I sorta..." He blushed, looking away.

"You're blushing," Evan pointed out, unable to stop a smile from spreading over his face. "Come on, it can't be that bad, whatever it is - do you still sleep with a teddy bear or something?"

Connor blushed harder. "No... well, maybe..." He scowled when Evan laughed at him. "Okay, Mr. Ninja Turtle Night Light."

Evan's mouth fell open in embarrassment. "Hey!"

Connor snickered, shaking his head at Evan. "Don't dish it out if you can't handle getting your ass handed back to you."

"I mean, YOU can hand my ass back to me, if you want..."

Connor's eyes widened. He looked around the cafeteria to make sure no one had heard him. "You're getting bold, dude."

Evan shrugged. "Everyone important knows at this point, so who cares who hears me?"

Connor nodded. "True. Anyway, I'm trying to tell you something.."

"Oh, right, sorry." Evan made a show of gathering himself together, staring intently at Connor.

"The night you came home from the hospital... When you had the panic attack and I ran back to your place to help you..."

Evan frowned, nodding. He didn't like remembering that day. But whatever this was, it was important enough for Connor to bring up.

"My dad caught me trying to leave, and he wouldn't let me go, so..." Connor shrugged. "I don't know why I haven't told you this, it's been like a month since that night, but..."

"Connor," Evan said firmly. When Connor looked at him, Evan took his hand. "Just tell me already. Dragging it out is giving me major anxiety..."

"I told my dad that I had to leave because my boyfriend needed me."

Evan didn't know what to say. They'd never used the "B" word with each other, but Evan definitely liked the sound of that.

"But, um..." Connor fidgeted uncomfortably. Maybe bringing this up in the middle of school hadn't been a great idea....

Evan's heart cracked into a million pieces. There was a "but" coming. Did Connor not want to be his boyfriend? He was the one who had said it, but maybe it had been more about shocking Larry than really meaning it.

"It-it's fine," Evan said quickly. Now he knew why the idea of a real date had shocked Connor; he didn't want to be more than whatever they were, clearly regretted calling Evan his boyfriend. Maybe he didn't even want to date anymore. Maybe he was breaking up with Evan...

Evan pulled away, fumbling to grab his stuff. "It's fine," he repeated. "We don't... it's fine, okay? I'm fine, it's.... Sorry..."

Connor grabbed Evan's arm. Evan refused to make eye contact with him. His lip was trembling and he could feel the tears gathering in his eyes. He didn't think Connor was so heartless that he'd break up with him at school, but ... Maybe he was wrong.

"Ev, sit," Connor said firmly.

Evan was shaking all over and his legs were ready to give out anyway, so he sat, but he stared at the table so Connor couldn't see his tears.

"Ev-"

"If you're going to break up with me, can we wait until after school?"

"What?" Connor spoke so loudly, half the cafeteria stopped to stare at them.

"Oh, fuck off," Connor snarled at them, glaring. Everyone immediately looked away. Though Connor had softened in the past few months, his reputation still scared most people into staying away, and no one wanted to mess with him.

"I just, um, I don't really want to c-cry at school, so..."

"Evan, look at me."

Evan took a deep, shaky breath before complying.

"I am NOT breaking up with you," Connor said firmly. "I was just gonna say that-that, well.... I sort of told my dad you were my boyfriend without checking with you first if you even WANTED to be my boyfriend.."

The relief hit Evan so hard, he sagged in his chair. "Oh! Oh god, I really... I thought..."

Connor shook his head, taking Evan's hand again. "No, you doofus. Shut those voices up or I'm gonna have to shut them up for you," he said, pointing at Evan's head.

Evan tried to laugh, but it came out as a gaspy hiccup from crying. "Sorry. I can't always h-help it."

"Stop apologizing," Connor scolded. "So, uh.... d-do you wanna be my boyfriend..?"

Evan nodded, finally smiling again.

"Awwww, how precious," Jared said, setting his tray down and sitting beside Evan. "Now sweep him off his feet like they do in all those cheesy romance movies."

"You watch romance movies?" Connor mocked him. "Now why does that not surprise me?"

Jared sneered at him. "Oh, shut up, Murphy."

"Fuck off, Kleinman," Connor said, giving him the finger.

Evan rolled his eyes. "You two..."

Connor opened his mouth to argue, but the bell rang. He shook his head, standing and grabbing his bag.

"Walk home together?" He asked Evan, who nodded eagerly.

"I'd kiss you right now, but..." Evan looked around nervously. There were still a lot of people on the cafeteria.. Though everyone at school knew about them, thanks to that day Evan got beat up, they still tried to downplay the PDA. No one really bothered them, but better safe than sorry.

Connor waved his worries away. "It's fine, we'll make up for it once we're alone later."

Jared made a noise like he was vomiting. Connor smacked him over the head. Rather than get mad, Jared hooted with laughter, before waving goodbye to them.

"See you after school!" Evan called, as he and Connor walked in separate directions for class.

~*~*~

"So, when does your mom do another overnight?"

"Umm..." It took a minute for Evan's brain to remember; he still felt frazzled from his near-breakdown in the cafeteria earlier. "Tomorrow night, actually."

Connor grinned, giving Evan's hand a squeeze. "Perfect! I'll meet you at your place and we'll go grab a bite and see a movie, and then go back to your house for... other stuff..." he smirked at Evan's blush. It was SO easy to make Evan blush. He loved it.

"Sounds good," Evan agreed, as they reached his door.

"Is your mom home now?"

Evan shook his head. Connor grinned. "Good, no interruptions this time.." He leaned in and wrapped Evan in his arms, kissing him passionately. Evan leaned into him, returning the kiss with every ounce of love he could pour into it. When they finally pulled apart, they were both gasping a little.

"See you tomorrow night," Connor said with a wave, as he left Evan staring after him, a goofy smile on his face.

~*~*~

Connor didn't exactly have anything fancy to wear, but he tried. He washed his hair and re-applied his nail polish. He put on the pair of jeans that had the least holes, the cleanest black t-shirt he had, and the nicest hoodie he could find (which just meant it still looked black, not faded to gray from wearing and washing a million times.

He was putting his rings and bracelets on when a noise behind him startled him.

"Getting all fancy, huh?" Zoe asked, smirking at him.

"Go away, I'm busy," Connor demanded, rolling his eyes.

Zoe flopped on his bed, lying on her stomach. She grabbed his pillow and used it to prop her head up.

"Well that's the OPPOSITE of going away." Connor shook his head, clasping his bracelet and turning back to glare at her, arms crossed.

"Where ya goin?" She asked lightly, but she knew already. Her brother wouldn't bother getting dressed up for anyone but Evan.

"My boyfriend and I are going out, not that it's your business."

Zoe sat up so suddenly, Connor's pillow hit the floor. "Whoa, wait, boyfriend?!? When did THAT happen?"

Connor blushed, scratching at his wrists. He shrugged. "I asked him officially yesterday at lunch."

"And you didn't tell me till NOW???"

Connor rolled his eyes. "We just started talking again, sorry if I'm used to screaming at you to fuck off instead of confessing my deepest secrets to you."

"Okay, but this is HUGE!"

"Don't make this a bigger deal than it has to be, Zo, please," Connor begged. "And don't tell mom, she'll make a huge deal out of it, too."

"Don't tell mom what?"

Connor and Zoe both jumped. Cynthia stood in the doorway with Connor's laundry basket, giving them both a suspicious Mom Stare.

"Nothing," Connor said quickly, while Zoe blurted, "Connor asked Evan to be his boyfriend!"

Connor groaned, as Cynthia's face lit up. "Connor, oh, sweetie, that's-" She paused, seeing the look of discomfort on his face. "I mean, that's wonderful! Well, have fun tonight!"

Connor waved at her and ran from his room, trying to escape before things got any more awkward.

"Zoe, stop embarrassing your brother," Cynthia scolded once Connor was out of earshot, but she couldn't help the grin she threw her daughter's way.

Zoe shrugged. "I can't help it. I'm his little sister, I'm SUPPOSED to embarrass him. Plus..." she paused, shrugging again. "It's nice to have Connor back... I can't help but tease him. It's nice not to be screaming at each other anymore."

Cynthia put the laundry basket down and held her arms out for Zoe, who came in for a hug.

"I know, sweetie. I know."