Homeward Bound (part one) | Barley Lightfoot

after i wrote The Enchanted Forest, you guys requested a snow queen!reader x Barley Lightfoot so here it is! this is the start of a brand new series :-)

"Do it again."

You smiled, leaning back on your elbows. "Which one?"

"The firework thing," Barley said, using his hands to describe the movement. "You know, the one that goes SWOOSH and then twinkles down like snowflakes."

"Okay, okay," you said. You peeled yourself off of the old blanket you were laying on and stood. You turned towards Barley. "Are you ready?"

"Born ready," he said with a lopsided grin.

"Okay," you said. You held your hands out in front of you, palms up. All you had to do was will the ice to form above your fingers. You wiggled them, creating crystals of purple and blue. "Here we go!"

Barley cheered as you threw the crystals upward. They soared straight up, sparkling against the blue sky. After a second, they burst, twinkling down in a burst of cool blue. The snowflakes fluttered down, melting as soon as they landed on the grass.

You sank down on the blanket again. Barley was flat on his back now, one arm behind his head.

"That was awesome, babe," he said, shaking his head.

"Thanks," you said, tucking your hair behind your ears.

He sat up and reached for your hand. His warm palm met your ice cold one, and he didn't flinch. You felt yourself grow warmer. His fingers slipped in between yours. He was in awe of you, like he always was.

"You're amazing," he told you.

You smiled, ducking your head bashfully. He stared at you, his eyes drooped down lazily.

"Is there anything you can't do?" he asked.

"Well," you said. "I can't get cold, for one."

"And that isn't a bad thing," he said. "Although you will never know the true pain of having a brain freeze. Which, for me, is frustrating."

"Maybe you wouldn't get them if you didn't drink your milkshakes in three seconds flat," you said.

"I happen to hold the world record for milkshake drinking! And slushie drinking. I've got two minutes on Ian and I would like to keep it that way."

You laughed and shook your head. "My boyfriend is a huge dork. Why am I even discussing this with you?"

"Because you are secretly impressed with my talent," he said, and he tilted his head. "Obviously."

"I guess you're right," you said.

He kept staring at you. "Can you do the firework thing again?"

You sighed, fighting to hide your amusement. "Sure. I guess."

"Yay! You're the best, babe."

"I know," you said, standing up again. "Grand finale time?"

"Yes! Give me everything you've got!"

"Okay," you said.

You waited until the crystals gathered, swirling around your palms, before you threw your right hand up into the air. As soon as it exploded, you did the same to your left, then your right again, and then your left.

You grinned. Using your power, you felt alive. You gathered up all that you could and cheerfully threw both hands up into the air. The shape of a snowflake appeared and disappeared in enough sparkles to ice the yard.

Barley cheered and clapped. You grinned at the shape, and then you heard something. It was all around you and inside of you.

You gasped, seeing a flash of images in front of you; a foot stomping on the ground, forming a floor of ice. A frosty hand shooting into the sky just like yours did. Four diamond shapes: blue, magenta, teal, purple.

The shape you made vanished, and as it did, you heard a voice. A singing voice.

Suddenly exhausted, your legs gave out underneath you and you fell. You crumpled onto the grass, your hand immediately grabbing a fistful of it.

"Whoa, ___!" Barley was on his knees in front of you at once. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"N-No," you stammered, struggling to meet his eyes. You felt so lightheaded. Still, you tried to stand up, holding onto his arms for support. "I-I'm fine---"

"Whoa, whoa, no," he said, pushing you back down. "You overdid it. You need to rest. I'll go get you water, okay?"

He started to move. Terrified, you clutching his shirt. "N-No, don't leave me alone!"

"I'll be right back, babe. Hang on!" He got out of your hold and sprinted back to the house.

You sat alone in the grass, trembling in fear. You looked up at the sky, then at your hands. It was so hard to breathe.

The voice sang again.

Barley ran outside, a glass of water in his hand. He sat back down in front of you and put the cup in your hand. "Drink," he said, pushing your hair out of your face. His voice broke as he continued. "Babe, I am so sorry for pushing you. I-I didn't know you'd get tired like that---"

"Shhh," you hushed him softly. "Don't you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"Singing," you said.

"Someone's singing?"

You nodded. "For me. There it is again. Do you hear it?"

He shook his head slowly, eyes locked on you. You frowned, frustrated and scared. Barley's hands rubbed up and down your arms slowly. You shut your eyes and ducked your head.

"I'm not crazy," you argued.

"I never thought you were," he said. "If you say there's singing, then there is singing. Maybe it's because you overdid it? Maybe your power is telling you that enough is enough?"

"Maybe," you whispered.

It certainly was a possibility. You had no idea what you were, or even who you were. No one had your power. You used to call yourself cursed --- until Barley convinced you that you and your power were gifts.

You groaned. "I've never gotten tired so easily before. I feel so sick."

"You need rest," he said. "Come on, you can crash on the couch for a few hours."

He stood up and pulled you with him. You leaned against his chest, relying on him to hold you up as his arms went around you and he walked forward.

"After you rest, maybe you'll feel better. Maybe that singing will stop."

"Maybe," you whispered, but deep down you knew that you would be hearing the voice again.

You were scared.