I Wanna Have a Baby With You, Babe (part four) | Barley Lightfoot

final part of the series. thank you all for reading. this went wayyy further than i thought it would and i would be happy to do more series like this again soon <3

/ / /

You were sobbing as the baby was placed into your arms and on your chest. You felt his open mouth brush against your bare shoulder as he squirmed and cried. You looked up at Barley as he put a hand on the baby's back and another on your head.

"I love you," you cried, shaking your head. "I love you so much." 

There were tears dripping down his face as he smiled. "I love you too."

"We did it," you said. The baby's cries were slowing down. "We had our baby."

"Yeah," he whispered. He inhaled deeply and then started to cry. You closed your eyes as he kissed you on your temple and then touched his forehead to yours.

Barley had never found it harder to leave a room than when he did to go tell his mom and brother about the baby. He rushed out, his beanie in his hand, his entire body shaking. He saw them by the vending machines. Laurel lowered her magazine and grabbed her purse. Ian stood up, his eyebrows pulled together.

Barley held his arms open. "He's here," he said. "He's seven pounds five ounces. He has her hair and uh --- I don't know! He's great."

Laurel's smile spread as she pressed her hands against her heart. "Can I see my little grandson?" 

"Yeah," he said. "Come on, Mom." 

Laurel leaned against her oldest son as he brought her to the hospital room. As soon as he opened the door, he saw you sitting in the bed with the baby cradled in your arms. You looked at him and beamed when you saw him, and Barley swore that you were just looking prettier every second that went by today. 

He walked over to you and put his arm around you. Your lips met his for just a moment before you greeted Ian and Laurel and waved them forward. They gathered around the bed to admire the little bundle in your arms.

"Oh, guys, he's beautiful," Laurel whispered. "Has he opened his eyes yet?"

"He has a couple of times," you said. "I think he looks like Ian."

Ian's eyes widened. He smiled slowly. "R-Really? He looks like me?" 

"A spitting image of you," Barley said. "He has her hair, but he's got your everything else." 

"You're right," Laurel said.

"Do you want to hold him?" you asked.

"Of course." She eagerly stepped back and opened her arms. You very slowly shifted the baby so that he laid in her arms. She brought him close to her chest and melted at the feeling of his warmth and the sound of his sleeping breath. "Oh, what a precious little guy."

You leaned against Barley tiredly. He wrapped his arms around you and kissed your cheek. You were grateful when he just held you now, rubbing your arms as you relaxed against him. 

Laurel held him for a moment, and then she passed him to Ian. Ian couldn't hide his smile of pure joy as he held onto his little nephew. A swell of pride filled him. He had been the baby of the family for his entire life, and now in his arms was a new addition that he would get to take care of, just like his brother took care of him. 

"He does look a lot like me," he said, his voice shaky. You smiled warmly; Ian's eyes were glistening with tears. He blinked them back fast and cleared his throat. The baby's hand poked out of the blanket. Ian poked his palm with his finger, and he latched on with his whole grip. He chuckled. "Hey, kid... I'm your Uncle Ian."