Buttercream Frosting | Ian Lightfoot

yesterday was my best friend's 21st birthday! i didn't get to write her birthday imagine on her actual birthday bc i worked 2 days in a row, but here it is today :-)

Melonhead15 is my sister & best friend & i am so thankful we met right here on wattpad over 2 years ago. since then, she's flown all the way to my state to stay with me twice, gone on a family vacation with us, and will one day soon be my roommate!! she's the sweetest and most caring person you could ever meet (and she writes onward imagines too, so follow her). so happy birthday, melanie. ilysm ♡

ps. ur cake in this imagine is gluten free. dont worry.

/ / /

When Laurel stepped into her kitchen, she sighed happily at the scent of sweet vanilla buttercream frosting and warm yellow cake. The kitchen was silent except for the sound of Ian plopping the cake pan down on the stove top to cool.

When he saw his mom, he lifted one hand, covered with an oven mitt, and said, "Good morning, Mom!"

"Good morning," she said. She was impressed by how clean the kitchen was despite the baking going on. There wasn't a bit of batter on a counter top or any ingredients scattered around. Everything was organized. "Well, aren't you a busy bee today?"

"It's ___'s birthday," he explained sheepishly, a blush covering his cheeks. He lifted a ceramic bowl up across the counter. "Want to try some homemade icing?"

"You know I do," she said, swiping her finger across the top. She popped it in her mouth. "Homemade you said? Well my gosh, Ian. You're really going all out. A homemade cake and everything---"

He held up a finger. "A gluten free homemade cake," he specified.

"Oh, of course, of course. When are you going to see ___?"

"Uh, today. Barley got her a present too so he's gonna drive us over there and we are gonna surprise her with cake and gifts." Ian couldn't stop smiling. He loved you --- probably a little more than a best friend should, honestly --- but that was a secret that only his brother knew.

Except Laurel was a mother that knew her children pretty well, and she could see the lovesick look in her youngest kid's eyes when you were over for dinner or game night. She could see the way he looked at you when you weren't looking. It reminded her of Wilden, when back in college she pretended to be blissfully unaware of how he looked at her.

"Well, that sounds awesome. Tell her I said happy birthday, and please don't forget that I have a card for her. It's right there on the coffee table."

"I won't forget, Mom," he said.

Both glanced up as a pair of heavy footsteps bounded down the stairs. Barley jumped off at the last three steps and spread out his arms. "The card is complete!"

"Did you make a homemade card?" Laurel asked.

"Well, sorta," Barley explained, opening the card in his hands. "It's more of a book describing all of our characters for our Quests of Yore campaign. We play every weekend, so I thought she'd like it." He smiled. "I also got her her very own Quests of Yore book! Filled with history, magic, and all the facts and tips she may need for future endeavours."