Dad | Barley Lightfoot

happy october guys :-) this is dedicated to Melonhead15 who wrote a crap ton of stuff for me this week. and thank you to everyone who has patiently but excitedly waited for me to update. i hope you enjoy this length imagine, based on one of my favorite scenes of the movie <3

/ / /

It started when you showed up at Barley's house. Holding the small stack of gifts you'd gotten Ian under one arm, you knocked on the front door three times and waited five minutes. No one came to answer it. The lights were all on in the living room and kitchen --- maybe they couldn't hear you? You knocked again, and that was when you realized the door wasn't even completely shut. It was only partly closed, like someone had left in a hurry and forgotten to shut it behind them and lock it. 

You stepped inside and called out for Barley, then for Ian, then for Laurel. The house was silent except for the scurrying of Blazey as she ran towards your feet and jumped up on top of you. You nearly dropped all of Ian's presents as you clumsily lowered yourself to set them down by the door. You wrapped an arm around Blazey and pulled her close to you. 

"Are you here all by yourself?" you asked her. She just stared at you with her wide-set eyes. "Well, it's a good thing you didn't figure out the door was open, huh?" You scratched the top of her head and then stood up. "Where is everyone at? Did the party move somewhere?"

Blazey looked nervous as she scrambled her way up the steps. You followed her as she slipped into Ian's open bedroom door. The room was dark except for the lamp on his desk, but even in the dim, you could see the mess that littered the floor. This was incredibly out of character for Ian. You'd expect it out of your boyfriend, Barley's, bedroom --- but not Ian's. Alarmed, you looked around until Blazey put her claws on his bed and nudged a piece of paper sitting at the corner. You picked it up, eyes widening as you saw Ian's shattered phone screen left behind as well. 

MOM

BE BACK WITH MIND BLOWING SURPRISE!!!

A piece of tape at the top of the paper hinted to you that this used to be taped to the door or something. Laurel had clearly found it and went after the boys. You just wondered what was wrong, what could have happened. Sighing to yourself, you sank to the floor. You were at a loss of where to go next. Barley's phone had gotten lost weeks ago when he had dropped it into the ocean during one of your quests with him. There was no way of contacting him, and the only way you could find him was if you looked around town.

Hopefully you would find him. There was no telling what the surprise was, but knowing Barley, they would probably be getting into a lot of trouble soon. 

You made sure Blazey had food in her bowl and stacked Ian's gifts neatly on the kitchen table before you left. You walked home slowly, keeping an eye out for Barley's van on the streets. You didn't see him, but your phone rang. It was an unknown number. Still, you answered it. "Hello?"

"Oh good, you answered!" 

"Barley? Where are you calling from?" 

"A payphone! This gas station just out of town has one still. Isn't that awesome!? Just like the old days! Sort of." 

"Oh my gosh. Where are you at? I came to your house but it's, like, trashed. What happened?"

"Long story and I don't really have the time to explain it," he said awkwardly, "but in good time you will see, my love. The story will reveal itself soon! And it is full of mystery and adventure and most of all, magic!" 

You sighed, trying not to be annoyed with your boyfriend's theatrics. "That's great, babe, but I was, like, really worried about you. I thought something really bad had happened and---"