My Beloved (part two) | Barley Lightfoot

requested by CeceBabs

/ / /

"Barley, honey, this is your wedding that is happening in four months. Don't you think you could maybe get up and help me and your fiancee out with the planning?" Laurel asked. 

You looked up from the dining room table, where you seemed to spend most of your days, surrounded by wedding plans; possible places to have the wedding, possible places to have the reception, how many people to invite, what food you might want, floral arrangements, music, lighting, Barley's outfit, your outfit---

It was all incredibly overwhelming, which is why you had spent three nights sleeping (sleeping was putting it lightly --- Laurel had you planning from sun up to at least midnight every single night) on the Lightfoot family sofa, wearing your fiance's favorite t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants. 

"Oh Laurel, it's okay," you said, shaking your head. "Barley doesn't really get the whole planning thing."

To be honest, you didn't either.

"It would still be great if you could help us out," Laurel said. "I'm going to run to the florist and price some flower arrangements. I am thinking we go with long pink stemmed roses as the main flower. Or is that too overdone? I know a lot of weddings use roses. But they make everything look so romantic! Oh... well, I'll call you while I'm at the store, okay sweetie?"

You took in a deep breath. "Okay."

"I'll be back in a bit," she said. She grabbed her purse and her keys. Blazey chased after her as she made her way to the backdoor. She paused by the counter to give her son a warning glare. "I'm serious, Barley. Help her out some." 

"I'll try, Mom," he said. 

"Okay. I love you." 

"I love you too," he said. He shut the door behind her. Blazey blinked up at him, ready to play. "Come on, girl, let's see if we can help ___ out."

The dining room table was a mess. Laurel had ordered magazines, printed out photos, and had written out ideas of what the perfect wedding could be. She took this incredibly seriously; she and Wilden had a small wedding right after college. She never had any daughters to dream of planning a wedding. This was probably more exciting for her than it was for you or Barley. The weight of the wedding was heavy on your shoulders now as you flipped through the thirtieth magazine and then dropped your face in your hands. 

"Hey," Barley said, stepping up behind you. He put his hands on your shoulders and massaged your muscles there. "Why don't you take a break from all of this wedding stuff?"

You pulled your hands away from your face and sighed. "I really should. If I have to look at another ultra thin model in a basic and boring, tightly-fitted, sleeveless white gown that could never look good on me, I will scream." 

"Aw, come on," Barley said. He took the seat next to you and kept rubbing your shoulders. "You're so beautiful, baby, I bet you'd look good in any of these dresses." 

You gave him a half-smile and grabbed a magazine. You didn't have to double-check to see if it was the right one. "Look at page twenty-six. The second gown on the right side of the page."

Barley opened the magazine and flipped there. He cringed at the look of the gown and it made you laugh. 

"Why is all of this wedding stuff so boring?" you whispered, shaking your head. "I thought this would be the most fun thing ever." 

"Because planning is adult stuff, my love, and we are not about that life."

You snorted. "Yeah, I guess we're not." You blew heavily. "Barley... how do you picture our wedding?"