21 | Barley Lightfoot

perhaps it is a little self indulgent but i am turning 21 today and i decided to write this for myself. this is very slightly based on the parks and rec episode where april turns 21

 this is very slightly based on the parks and rec episode where april turns 21

/ / /

You couldn't believe it when you walked into your apartment and saw over a dozen of your closest friends and family members jump out from their hiding places, shouting "Surprise!" at the top of their lungs as they threw balloons and confetti in the air. Sure, you were expecting something was happening for your birthday, but not this.

"Oh my gosh," you said, putting your hands on the side of your face. "What in the---"

Of course it was your best friend, Barley, who was standing up on your armchair with his arms spread out that said, "This was all my idea!"

"Of course it was," you said. Immediately, you were surrounded by hugs and kisses and embraces from everyone. All of your friends, your parents, siblings, cousins. Ian even hugged you, much to your surprise.

But finally you got to Barley, who had shrunk back in the background to give you time with all of them. You approached him with butterflies in your stomach and a cheesy grin on your face. You liked him so much.

"You did all of this for me?" you asked, shaking your head.

"I did," he said. He poked your side. "I told you I was gonna make sure you had the best birthday ever."

"Well I know, but I thought we were just gonna hang out here and play Quests of Yore and eat pizza and cake or something," you said. "I didn't expect..."

Loud music was playing now as your living room was transformed into a dance floor. "You said you wanted to celebrate with your favorite people," he half yelled. "So I invited everyone you like."

"That's really sweet," you said. "But you know I meant you, right?"

"Uh --- no. I didn't know that."

You grinned. "I did mean you, Barley."

His cheeks heated up and his eyes widened. "Oh. Well, uh..."

"Hey, I'm gonna change out of this and find something a little cuter to wear," you said. You were wearing a t-shirt and jeans, but you had a special outfit set out for your birthday celebration, whatever it was going to be.

"Okay," he said. He held up his hand for a high-five.

You smacked your palm against his. "I'll be right back."

You disappeared in your room and put on the dress hanging up in your closet. It was your favorite color. You grabbed your matching shoes and walked out of your room. Barley was standing right outside. When he saw you, his eyes widened.

"Dude!" His face flushed. "Oh my gosh, you look beautiful."

"Stop," you said, rolling your eyes. "Don't look at me." He covered his eyes and you laughed. "No, look at me."

He dropped his hands and smiled. "Seriously, you look really beautiful."

"Thank you," you said softly.

"So can I get you a drink or something?" he asked. "I stocked your kitchen with everything pretty much."

"Uh... no, that's okay," you said. "I think I would rather dance."

"Okay." He smiled and nodded.

"With you," you specified.

His eyes widened and he froze. "With... with me?" You nodded. "I, uh, okay. Let's dance then." He gestured for you to walk ahead. "My lady---"

But you weren't interested in pretending that you didn't like Barley anymore. You were absolutely in love with him. So you took his hand, warm in yours, and pulled him with you on the dance floor.

"Come on," you said. "Dance with me."

And he did. And you were horrible at it, and he was only slightly better at it than you, but each embarrassing move brought more laughter between the two of you, and you gripped his hand tight and twisted your body to the sound of the music.

"I bet I look like a complete idiot, huh?" you said.

"A cute one, maybe," he said, sending your heart into a frenzy. He was shouting to be heard over the music. "Hey, I wanted to tell you something."

"What is it?" you asked calmly, but inside you were tense, hoping silently that what he wanted to tell you was what you wanted to hear.

"I, uh, don't want to ruin this," he said admittedly.

"Ruin what?" you asked.

You both kept dancing as you spoke. "You and me."

"Barley, you can't ruin anything," you said. "You're my best friend."

"That's what I am afraid of," he told you. "We're best friends and it's really important to me that you keep liking me."

"I'll always like you," you said. You grinned. "Come on, Bar. Tell me."

"Okay, fine," he said. With his hand in yours, he spun with you. "I, uh, I really like you. In a sort of romantical kind of way. I, uh, think you're really pretty and nice and funny and, uh, yeah. I think we should go out."

You couldn't believe it. He finally said it. All you'd wanted.

"Do you... like me?" he asked nervously. You realized you hadn't answered yet.

You brushed your hair out of your face. "Yes."

He lit up. His hands flew into the air. "Ha ha! That's awesome. So should we..."

"Go out?" you asked. He nodded. "Yes."

"Awesome," he breathed out. He was breathless, either from dancing or from asking you out, you weren't sure. You took him by the hand and led him off of the dance floor.

"How about that drink now?" you asked.

"Okay," he said. "And then after, I can give you your present."

"You got me a present?" you asked.

"Of course I did," he said. "I did it all this year. Present, party, even a cake. Did you see it? It's your favorite. Mom gave me the recipe. Okay, honestly I got it from the back of the bod but I---"

You silenced him by slinging your arm around his neck and dragging him down to kiss you. His eyes widened in shock, but it soon melted as his eyes closed lazily and his shoulders relaxed. His arms dangled loosely for just a moment, and then his hands were on your waist as he kissed you back.

"Thank you," you said as you pulled back.

"Happy birthday, kid," he mumbled to you. He smiled shyly, a look you rarely saw on him.

"It's been the best one yet," you said. And you forgot the drinks as you kissed him one more time.