Meet me after the Macabre

The ripples in the water became stronger, sharper, as a figure in the distant void rushes towards you and Will - seemingly racing against whatever was adamant on making larger, stronger movements.

Will sprung forward and grabbed your hand, placing himself between you and whoever was battling to race in between the fog - but once he caught a glimpse of their face his grasp loosened slightly.

"YOU NEED TO GO!" she yelled.

 Will yelled back, "ELEVEN?!"

"GUYS YOU NEED TO GO HE'S COMING, HE KNOWS, LEAVE NOW AND GET MIKE AWAY!"

A low rolling growl, once again like the sound of twisting metal, announced itself behind the shoulders of you and Will.

Without looking behind, the two of you lunged forward to try and grab Mike, and El did the same - but just as your fingers scrapped his shoulder his head shot around to look behind you and Will, all with in the matter of a second you saw a flash of dread light up in Mike's eyes and just as quickly your fingers slipped past him as Mike twisted into just another gust of smoke.

Before the two of you could even know how to react, yours and Will's eyes had open wide and were staring down into the grass - you were both gasping for air that didn't have a tint of death and decay to the taste of it.

Will immediately sat up and looked around him - trying to think through five things at once. You and him were out of the void, El wasn't anywhere to be seen. He crawled over to you and pulled you up onto yours knees, wiped the mud off from your cheeks and gave you a short-embrace. 

He was about to stand up and make a run back to the bus, but you snagged onto his jumper and kept him low to the ground, he looked at you and you shook your head slowly - mouthing, with only the slightest whisper to your voice, only one to be heard when everything in else in the universe goes quiet: "You don't know what's out there"

Will felt relief at your hand holding onto his arm, stopping him from running up the hill - but the feeling was washed over and pushed down a second later by an intense fear of the unknown. Or not exactly the unknown, but the uncertain - you both had a feeling at what was simply metres a way from you, hiding behind the brow of the hill - there was just uncertainty as to what would happen next.

You mouthed once more, "move slowly"

Will nodded again, keeping the connection and communication between the two of you clear, he moved his hand down to yours and intertwined your fingers with his - making to sure to have the strongest hold on you that he could. You raised your self off of your knees cautiously, but made sure to keep them bent as you possibly could - not wanting to stray any further away from ground level as was needed.

You moved low, slow, steady, traversing the edge of the hill - pushing branches and thistles away to the side, cursing the moments when they would snag onto your clothes interrupting your movement - almost as if they were passively working towards sabotaging yours and Will's safety. Angling yourselves up slightly, you moved to conceal yourselves behind an old 1950's Chevy Truck that was facing down the edge of the hill, looking down towards the bottom of the valley - the only thing holding it in place was the very same thistles which had grown around the wheels and into the suspended bonnet of the truck.

Will pushed the already twisted mirror of the truck around, making it face out towards the centre of the scrap yard - where the flashlights still lay strewn about on the sun-dried grass. He twisted it some more, causing some rust to flake off and land at his feet, he stopped once he got the right view. Although, right wouldn't be the exact word he wanted to describe what he was seeing.

His lips separated slightly, and you watched every tiny movement in his face - trying to read the situation only by looking at him, considering the mirror was angled only perfectly to Will's eye-line.