Red Flags

"You're breaking the rules once again, Malhotra." I say, as I step out of the palace doors. "No guest is permitted to leave my palace without first bidding me goodbye." Bracing myself, I watch Malhotra's back, as his hand pauses on the reins of his horse. "After having a farewell feast with me, of course," I add.

"Princess, I didn't share my welcome feast with you." Malhotra says, watching me over his shoulder. "So I thought it best that I should depart without the farewell one, too."

"You shouldn't think, Malhotra," I advise. "People who lack a fully functioning brain really shouldn't try to utilise it much." Scoffing, Malhotra focuses his gaze back on his ride for the journey.

"You've got a unique way of saying goodbye to your guests, Princess." He comments, refusing to so much as turn around and face me. However, this is a good thing because him not meeting my gaze is surely acting as a confident boost for what I'm about to say next.

"You were right yesterday, Malhotra. I don't like being told what to do," I say. "Or forced into decisions." As I speak, I begin to make my way down the palace steps. "I respect you for giving me a choice, and treating me as an equal. Unlike the rest of the world, you didn't view me as a weak lady, who is incapable of making her own decisions. You also accepted my refusal with the utmost dignity, and I appreciate that." Brows furrowed, Malhotra turns around to face me. I can quite evidently see that he's confused regarding which direction I'm taking this conversation in.

"The shawl was a kind gesture as well." I admit, acknowledging the first gift that I've ever received from another. However, what I don't tell Malhotra is that I wrapped it around me and fooled around for quite a while in front of a mirror.

"You're welcome." Malhotra replies, nodding his head at me. "Now if you're done, Princess, I really should get going. You must be well aware that traveling in the dark is not advisable for people like us."

"I don't love you," I blurt out blatantly. Malhotra's frown deepens as he absorbs my words.

"Look here, Princess, I respect your refusal to my proposal." Malhotra says, his jaw tightening. "But let's not push it and rub salt in my wounds." Oh for crying out loud, this man doesn't have two ounces of patience in his system.

"I've changed my mind," I say. "Let's get straight to the point. I'm ready to marry you." Malhotra gasps, as his lips part in surprise. "However, I wish to make one thing quite clear to you, Malhotra. This union, between you and I, isn't for the sake of our personal benefits. On the contrary, it is because of the people of my kingdom, and solely for them. Even after we're bound together, don't expect me to fulfil the duties of a wife. You'll just be a friend in my eyes, who will work with me as a team to benefit both of our lands, and the people who reside in it. If you accept me despite the terms that I've put forth in front of you, then we may proceed with this union. On the other hand, if you reject, I'd completely understand that decision of yours as well."

After all, from what Father's told me, it is quite evident that Malhotra has invested a certain quotient of emotions into me. I, on the contrary, feel nothing of the sort for him, and one-sided bargains are usually deemed unfair, and rejected. In fact, rightly so, I'd say.

"You won't be expected to do any of that, Princess." Malhotra murmurs, almost to himself.

"Pardon?" I ask, raising my eyebrows. Smiling, my friend nods his head at me.

"We've got a deal, Princess." He says, stretching his hand out towards me. "For our people, and the benefit of our kingdoms. Let's shake on it?" Glancing down at Malhotra's outstretched hand, I hesitate. Am I making the right decision? For some reason, my gut instinct tells me to retreat. Something's not quite right. By agreeing to this union with Malhotra, I'll be sacrificing my entire life for the sake of my duties. Will I be able to bear the weight of this decision for the rest of my life? That, too, in a land that's not my own; in a palace where I've not grown up in.