All Figured Out

Manik's POV

The second Shivam's eyes land on me, he pops out of his seat like a spring, and makes a beeline straight in my direction. 

"Easy there," I say, getting down on my knees, as I spread my arms out to welcome Shivam into them.

"Here I come!" He yells, bulldozing into my chest. Over his shoulder, my eyes land on Nandini. She's leaning against the back of her chair, watching us. Narrowing my eyes at her, I divert my gaze towards Shivam.

"You may seem like a tiny man, but there's a lot of strength in there." I say, lightly patting the left side of his chest.

"Don't say that," Shivam whines, pouting. "Nandini says I'm a big boy now. She's teaching me table manners, too!" Turning around, Shivam grins at Nandini, offering her an enthusiastic wave.

"Did she now?" I murmur, rising to my feet. This time when my eyes find Nandini, she's no longer looking in my direction.

"Manik, have a seat." Chachi calls out, turning in her seat to face me. "Tonight, courtesy of your lovely wife, all of our favourite dishes have been laid out for dinner. So surely she's got the chef to cook up something you love." Grinning at me excitedly, Chachi turns back around, and reaches out for another helping. Once again, I find my eyes back on Nandini. But she, on the other hand, is studiously ignoring me, as if I don't so much as exist. Why the hell is she being so nice to my family? What is Nandini's ulterior motive behind this dinner? And how the hell did she know about everyone's favourite dishes?

As Shivam claims his seat beside Nandini, I make my acquaintance with the empty chair opposite to her and lower myself into it. Glancing around the table, I search for a favourite of mine. Frowning, I cast my gaze across the spread once again.

"That's odd," I murmur, unable to catch sight of a dish that would specially appeal to me. I thought Chachi said that Nandini got the cooks to make everyone's favourites.

"Dadi," I say, leaning towards my grandmother. "Did the biryani finish?" Looking up at me innocently, Dadi shakes her head.

"Manik, the biryani would've finished had there been any to begin with," she replies.

"But aren't everyone's favourites laid out here?" I ask, once again casting my gaze around the table as if the biryani platter is camouflaged within the crowd of the other dishes.

"Most certainly," Dadi says. "Except for yours," she adds, as if this is not a big deal. Throwing my head back, I pin my gaze on Dadi. But instead of looking the least bit apologetic - as she should - I find her smiling at me.

"May I ask why?" I question, raising my eyebrows. What in God's name is the meaning of this discriminatory behaviour?

"It'll be better if you ask your wife this very question." Dadi says, nodding her chin in Nandini's direction. As soon as I cut my gaze towards the guilty party, I find her suppressing a smile while she stares down at her plate. Of course this is all Nandini's doing. Who else in this family would treat me like I have absolutely no value?

"You," I begin, leaning across the table towards Nandini.

"Not now, Manik." Dadi warns, laying her hand above mine. "The rest of our family doesn't need to witness any kind of drama right now." Pursing my lips, I lean back into my seat, as I release a sigh of resignation.

"Manik, we have a complain to make." Rishabh says from the other end of the table. Leaning forwards, so as to gain a better view of me, he crosses his arms in front of his chest.

"Go ahead," I say, gesturing for him to lay it all on me.

"How did you manage to bring in such a beautiful wife, and keep us ignorant to it all?" Rishabh asks, his eyes demanding an answer from me. Scoffing, I glance at Nandini.

"Beautiful...as if," I murmur under my breath. Feigning utter and complete ignorance to the happenings that surround her, Nandini continues to empty the contents of the platter in front of her.

"I guess I wanted to surprise everyone tonight." I reply, the lie choking its way out of my throat. Plastering the most convincing smile that I can, I shrug my shoulders. "Surprise," I announce, letting out a chuckle.

"You know, Manik, Nandini's a great influence." Chachi says, nudging her shoulder into Nandini's. Good God, I wish to gag at this excessive affection. What spell has Nandini cast over my innocent family? "She's been teaching Shivam the basic table manners for the past half hour, and tomorrow they're going horse riding as well, I hear."

"We are," Shivam chirps in excitedly, nodding his head in agreement, eyes wide.

"Aren't you a little too young to get on a horse, young man?" I ask my brother. Frankly, I don't wish for him to converse with Nandini, much less make day plans with her.

"Nandini says I'm a big boy, and if Nandini says it then it's true." Shivam replies, almost as if he's narrating a rehearsed speech.

Clearing my throat, I reach forwards for the pitcher of water. I need a minute to adjust myself to this circus, whose ringleader is apparently Nandini. As I gulp down the cool water, my eyes take in the sight around me. Everyone's quite clearly enjoying themselves more than I'd like to admit. It feels as if we never ended the tradition of having meals together. But unfortunately we had put a full-stop to this, and if we are assembled here it's because of Nandini. Frankly, I'm surprised as to how she even managed to bring everyone together on such short notice. Regardless, though, she has done so, but why? My family should mean nothing to her. On the contrary, the only relation that she shares with the people seated at this dining table is that of enmity; they are, after all, her enemy's blood. Then why is she going out of her way, and laying down this foundation of honey?

My eyes widen as realisation slams into me like a wrecking ball. How could I have been so foolish? Of course...Nandini wants to be acknowledged for everything that she's done. Whenever Anusha does something, she always wants to be payed back with jewels. Maybe Nandini wants a good set of emeralds too. That's it, of course! I shall address this matter with her at the end of tonight's dinner. After all, if someone does something worthwhile, then they must get their due. Smiling to myself, I reach forwards and pour myself some soup. Now that I've figured out this woman's intentions, I may as well enjoy tonight's meal.